Why is Self-Esteem Important?
• Self-esteem is important because
it can affect:
– Your mental health
– How you behave
– Your decisions
– Your friendships
– Your success
– Your life
What is Self-Esteem?
• Self Esteem:
– How you feel about yourself
– How much you feel you are worth
– How much you feel other people
What influences a person’s selfesteem?
• Puberty and Development
– Not everyone grows at the same time
or the same way
• Media Images
– Avoid comparisons with celebrities
• Family and Friends
– Sometimes they are too focused on
how you look and start criticizing
• A person who has low self-esteem
feels bad about themselves and
has no confidence.
• “I can’t do it” attitude
People with Low Self-Esteem:
Feel unhappy and miserable
Feel that they are not as good as others
Have no confidence in themselves
Feel tired most of the time
Do not want to do anything active
Look at the worst side of everything
Hard time forgiving their mistakes
Have no respect for themselves
Put themselves down even when
someone is complimenting them
– Ex.) “You look pretty today.” “No, I do not.
You are just saying that to be nice.”
How you get low self-esteem
• By telling yourself how bad, ugly, stupid, etc.
• By disliking yourself
• By hanging around by yourself or with other
people who tease you
• By thinking that mistakes only happen to you
• By thinking that no one likes you
• By thinking about all the bad things that have
happened in your life
• By not doing anything you enjoy doing or are
• By listening to and believing others who tell
you bad things about yourself
Effects of Low Self-Esteem
• Distorted emotions and
• Difficulty in trusting
• Fear of trying new things
• Panic attacks
• Give up on dreams
• Self-defeating behavior
• Negative and critical
• Complainers &
• Friends do not want to
“hang out” anymore
• A person who
has high selfesteem feels
• “I think I can”
People with High Self-Esteem
Believe in themselves
Are OK with themselves as a person
Look forward to a good future
Are energetic and hopeful
Like joining in with others
Are happy with each success
Look for ways to succeed
Don’t worry about how others will judge
How you get high self-esteem
• Like yourself and make the most of your good
• Join in with others
• Try something new and practice so you can feel
confident in your ability
• Set short-term goals and reach them
• Say “thank you” when you get a compliment and
feel PROUD of your efforts
• Accept mistakes
• Be happy with who you are
• Be a happy person and you will
make more friends!
• Hang out with positive people
and not those who criticize you
Effects of High Self-Esteem
• Fun to be around - Have more
• Full of life
What Can You Do?
• Strive to increase your self-esteem
• Listen to the positives and ignore the
• Celebrate your successes!
• Do not expect perfection.
• Forgive yourself for your mistakes.
• Stop putting yourself down.
• Do not compare yourself with others.
• List your accomplishments.
• Accept compliments and give
• Another way you can boost up your selfesteem is by participating in extracurricular
activities. Have a passion for something:
• Find something you can excel in and this will
help you feel better about yourself.
• REMEMBER: Do YOUR best for YOURSELF
and no one else!
What if I still have a low self-esteem?
• SEEK HELP.
• Talk to a counselor, supportive
parent, or religious leader who
can help you boost up your selfesteem.
Quotes to Remember
• You become which you think about
• “No one can make you feel inferior
without your consent” – Eleanor
• There are two different people in the
world. One that says “I wish I had”
and the one that says, “I am glad I
did”. Remember you can have
anything in this world if you just
believe in yourself!
• You are a unique individual. No
one else is like you in the whole
world. You are special!
• "Hero" sung by Mariah Carey