On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Chapter 2 Home Expert QuestionsPresentation Transcript
Home-Expert Discussion Questions
1. How did the European states differ in their approach to settlement? Did
they share any substantive similarities? What benefits did the New
World provide for each Mother Country?
2. Regarding Indians specifically, the French and the English followed
quite different policies. Why? How did each country advance their
purposes? What long-term results grew out of each nation's approach
3. What differences existed between the southern and northern colonies?
Did any similarities exist? What role did geography play in emigration?
What part did religion play?
4. What environmental problems did the colonists in Jamestown face?
What about the site of the town might have encouraged illness? What
economic difficulties plagued the colony? What cultural characteristics
seemed inappropriate, even dangerous, to the settlement?
5. Did the Puritans succeed in achieving their purpose of establishing a
"city on a hill"? Why or why not? Does any legacy of this concept
remain in American culture? Do any other elements of the Puritan ethic
continue to shape the United States?