18. Sledge rides, Yak rides, Slide rides on tubes at 13000 ft. !!!
19. We are happy anyway
20. Jos continues to consume …border-line bananas.
21. Amazing lone lady rider
22. No let-up on the bouncing
25. Army everywhere
26. BRO crew. Most probably from Haryana or MP. Security reasons?
27. Their accomodations.
30. Left to right: Beenu, Hemant, Jos, Rishi
37. We managed this crossing easy but got stuck in deep sludge next morning along with the Hyundai car and had to be pulled out by a passing van.
38. Nicely rotting-smelly bananas
39. But Jos would not allow them to be thrown out.
42. Date: 12-06-2008. No record for many hours as we were totally dead at 5000+mts. after Taglangla pass. <ul><li>Towards evening we got stuck due to a wide overflowing river across the road. </li></ul><ul><li>No option but to wait in almost freezing temperature inside jeep till next morning for the level to go down. </li></ul>
44. Date: 13-06-2008. Jos… and a toilet roll. Rishi sleeping inside >>>
47. Date: 13-06-2008. Relief !! With night halt in Leh. Outside Naro hotel !! >>>>>>
48. Date: 14-06-2008. Leh to kargil road. <<<<< Green oasis
50. Lamayaru monastry, Leh – Kargil road.
51. Lamayaru monastry
52. Solar powered Prashar Bharathi
53. Army’s solar installation
54. Bananas gone
55. Green oasis in mountain desert.
56. Night halt in Kargil, Siachen Hotel. <ul><li>Departure next day 2am for Zanskar. But got held up by taxi union outside Kargil for 2 hours. </li></ul><ul><li>Transferred equipment and bags to new taxi and moved on. </li></ul>
57. Date: 15-06-2008. Kargil to Zanskar road.
60. Panikhar Glacier covered with mud
61. Jos… working hard despite his stomach
62. Scanning for the safest road-line to follow
64. 4400mts tea stop
65. Bumpty-bump all the way. (click below for movie)
66. Drang-drung glacier
67. Same place last year
68. Zanskar valley, 3pm.
69. Date: 15-06-2008. 4pm. The Sani hospital !!!
70. Date: 16-06-2008. The wall.
71. The crew
73. The Cowboy and Red-indian
74. And the challenges.
75. Local handiwork
76. Indoor temprature
77. Outdoor temprature
78. Mixed dal and rice. Yummy lunch…
79. The chef and kitchen
80. End of installation day one
81. First day work done
82. Constant dust keeps their nose runny and eyes red
84. Padam hotel. Luxury in Zanskar.
85. Nadeem joins us on second work day. Date: 17-06-2008
88. Use conciously , or else…
89. “ Do not touch”
90. Done! In less than half the estimated time.
93. Date: 17-06-2008. Picture Perfect.
94. On to Lamdon school to check last years installation.
95. Checking system condition, Lamdon school.
96. Same place last year
97. Checking PV condition
98. Same place last year
99. Principals room.
101. Date:18-06-2008. On to Reru. 2 hours drive from Padam.
102. Bardan monastry and local yak transport
103. Recreation room. Reru school.
104. Invertors exchanged to solve tripping problems. Reru school
105. Date: 19-06-2008. Heading back home to Auroville…
106. Via Srinagar by bus.
107. Rishi enjoying not being bounced around. Date: 20-06-2008. Srinagar
108. Date: 23-06-2008. Chennai camera service center. New camera suddenly starts functioning again!!