On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
A major international event featuring summer and winter sports, in which thousands of athletes participate in a variety of competitions. The OlympicGames have come to be regarded as the world’s foremost sports competitionwhere more than 200 nations participate
• The ancient Olympic Games were primarily a part of a religious festival in honor of Zeus• The festival and the games were held in Olympia, a rural sanctuary site in the western Peloponnesos.• The ancient Olympic Games began in the year 776 bC, when Koroibos, a cook from the nearby city of Elis, won the stadion race, a foot race 600 feet long
• The Olympic motto is the hendiatris Citius, Altius, Fortius , which is Latin for "Swifter, Higher, Stronger"
In the Games an ideal opportunity to develop a set of universal principles – or Values – that could be applied to education and to society as a whole, as well as to sport itself.These Values are:• respect• Excellence• friendshipThe Paralympic Values are based on the history of the Paralympic Games and the tradition of fair play and honourable sports competition.They are:• courage• determination• inspiration• equality.
In ancient Greece, a one-month trucewas called and all fighting stopped during theGames. The modern Olympics werecancelled three times (1916, 1940, 1944)because of World War I and World War II.
• Five RingsThe Olympic symbol (five interlocked rings) represents the union of the five original major continents (Africa, America, Asia, Australia and Europe) and the meeting of the athletes from throughout the world at the Olympic Games. The five colors of the rings from left to right are blue, black and red across the top and yellow and green along the bottom.
• Is a hybrid form of swimming, dance and gymnastics, consisting of swimmers (either solos, duets, trios, or teams) performing a synchronized routine of elaborate moves in the water, accompanied by music. Synchronized swimming demands advanced water skills, and requires great strength, endurance, flexibility, grace, artistry and precise timing, as well as exceptional breath control when upside down underwater
• The Paralympic Games are a major international multi-sport event where athletes with a physical disability compete; this includes athletes with mobility disabilities, amputations, blindness, and cerebral palsy• The Paralympics have grown from a small gathering of British World War II veterans in 1948 to become one of the largest international sport events by the early 21st century• The present formal explanation for the name "Paralympic" is that it derives from the Greek preposition παρά, pará ("beside" or "alongside") and thus refers to a competition held in parallel with the Olympic Games. The Summer Games of 1988 held in Seoul was the first time the term "Paralympic" came into official use.
• The official mascots for the 2012 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games were unveiled on 19 May 2010; this marks the second time (afterVancouver) that both Olympic and Paralympic mascots were unveiled at the same time• They are named Wenlock, after the Shropshire town of Much Wenlock, which held a forerunner of the current Olympic Games, and Mandeville, after Stoke Mandeville, a village in Buckinghamshire where a forerunner to the Paralympic Games were first held
• The 2012 Summer Olympic programme features 26 sports and a total of 39 disciplines. The 2012 Paralympic Games programme has 20 sports and 21 disciplines. For the first time, womens boxing is included in the programme, with 40 athletes competing in five different weight classes.  There is a special dispensation to allow the various shooting events to go ahead, which would otherwise be illegal under UK gun law• Even though formal demonstration sports were eliminated following the 1992 Summer Olympics, special tournaments for non-Olympic sports can be run during the games, such as the Wushu tournament at the 2008 Summer Olympics. There have been campaigns to run Twenty20 cricket, and Netball tournaments parallel with the 2012 games, but neither campaign was successful.