1. Vocabulary Instruction in the 21st Century: Visual Tools for Teachers and Students Jennifer Jones Lake Myra Elementary School Wake County Public Schools North Carolina Reading Conference . March 20, 2012
2. Words are not just words. They are the nexus – the interface – between communication andthought. When we read, it is through words that we build, refine, and modify our knowledge. What makes vocabulary valuable and important is not the words themselves so much as…. the understandings they afford. Marilyn Jager Adams (2009, p.180)
3. Three Tiers of Words(Beck, McKeown, Kucan, 2002, 2008, Common Core State Standards, 2011)
4. Peoples knowledge ofany topic is encapsulatedin the terms they knowthat are relevant to thetopic.
5. Impact of Direct Vocabulary InstructionMarzano & Pickering (2005). Building Academic Vocabulary.
6. Marzano 6-Step Process Tier 2 Words
7. Tier 3 Words – Schoolwide Process
8. Vocabulary Notebooks
9. Marzano 6-Step Process
10. Graphic Organizers
11. Vocabulary Games Anchor Charts
12. Beck’s Text Talk Lessons
13. High Tech ToolsWeb 2.0 Tools
14. Web Tool #1 – Word CloudsWordle, Tagxedo, Image Chef, ABCya Word Clouds