1. What is Cancer Therapy?Cancer therapy for children is mostoften called pediatric oncology.It is one of the most ruthless forms ofcancer because it attacks youngdefenseless children.
2. If you spend any time learning aboutcancer and pediatric oncology youllundoubtedly discover that there aremany stories of young lives taken muchtoo soon to this horrible disease.In their efforts to fight their cancerchildren must undergo painful medicaloncology treatments
3. Types of Cancer Treatment For ChildrenThe main types of cancer treatment for children are:1. Chemotherapy,2. Radiation Therapy, and;3. Surgery to remove the cancer.
4. ChemotherapyChemotherapy is a type of treatment that kills cancer cells but damages normal human cells.This type of treatment can cause severe side effects and long lasting health implications.The damage depends greatly on how long chemotherapy is performed and how long the child is exposed to this type of treatment.
5. Radiation therapyRadiation therapy is a cancer treatment that can make tumors smaller by using high energy rays.Radiation therapy can be used as a stand alone treatment or it can be used prior to or after surgery.It can also be harmful to normal cells, not just cancer cells so there is a risk of severe side effects.
6. SurgerySurgery can be one of the most effectiveforms of cancer treatment.Surgery can major or minor, dependingon the size of the cancerous area andprogression of the disease.One of the main considerations doctorshave when performing this type ofsurgery is to try to take out as much ofthe cancer as possible without removinghealthy tissue (or only removing verylittle healthy tissue).
7. Pediatric Cancer CentersIt is important to know when you are looking for a cancer center for children that you find one that is a member of the Childrens Oncology Group (COG).Most of these types of facilities are non-profit organizations with the solemission of helping kids fight cancer andother related diseases.
8. Beyond fighting the sickness these typesof facilities also help children cope withwhat they have.
9. Generally speaking, almost 71% of allpeople who initially find out they havecancer are treated in medical facilitiesaccredited by the Commission on Cancer(CoC) by the American College ofSurgeons so this is also important tolook for when seeking treatment as youcan be assured that these centers havethe highest level of care available to yourchild.
10. Find out more about oncology in NewJersey at one of the many cancertreatment centers.
11. Many are also housed in large facilitieswith general New Jersey Medicaldoctors that can also treat other kinds ofillnesses.