2. <ul><li>Hello and first of all, thank you for choosing HEALTHePATH. </li></ul><ul><li>Over the next ten minutes I will be explaining what you need to know about hypnosis. </li></ul><ul><li>(please make sure your speakers are on) </li></ul>HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
3. <ul><li>I have come to realize that the whole world has a fascination with hypnosis. </li></ul><ul><li>It’s as if it is a natural calling to find the inner healing within us all. </li></ul>HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
4. <ul><li>Perhaps by healing ourselves, we can heal and empower the lives around us, to a better way of living. </li></ul>HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
5. I know for me, Terry Richardson, MSW, LCSW, NBCCH the search, which let me to hypnosis, was exactly this… “ A Discovery” HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
6. Do you feel sometimes that you have been looking for the answer to a question you don’t even know? <ul><li>That is because the mind and body wants to heal and wants to learn. </li></ul><ul><li>Take away the word “Hypnosis” and what you have is a state of mind where healing and learning takes place. </li></ul>HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
7. <ul><li>This state of mind is in all of us. </li></ul><ul><li>It has been, since the beginning of time. </li></ul><ul><li>We’ve just forgotten how to use it. </li></ul><ul><li>But now, we will put some understanding to this... </li></ul>HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
8. Let’s start with the human mind and how it operates. There are three parts to the mind. 1) The Unconscious mind 2) The Subconscious mind 3) The Conscious mind. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
9. The Unconscious mind is the part of the mind that controls our breathing, heart rate, and anything you never have to think about. It runs on automatic. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
10. Next, we have the subconscious mind where we have permanent memory, which is highly organized and unlimited. The permanent memory acts as an internal library. Here, every single experience you have ever had in your entire life is stored. Wow, isn’t that amazing? HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
11. <ul><li>Ever since your mind was formed as an infant, in your mother’s womb, you have recorded every second that has passed by in your subconscious mind… </li></ul><ul><li>If you’re into computers, some people refer this to the “hard drive” of the mind. </li></ul><ul><li>This is also the part of the mind that holds habits and beliefs… </li></ul><ul><li>… which is why we will be working in this area when in hypnosis. </li></ul>HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
12. It’s our habits and beliefs that cause us to act and do what we do, whether it is beneficial or not. The subconscious mind is a super achiever. Whatever beliefs exist in this part of the mind the subconscious will try its hardest to achieve. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
13. Now if at one time in your life the belief “I am so clumsy” entered the subconscious mind, the subconscious would then direct you to drop a glass of water or run right into a chair clearly out of the way. It’s got a goal and wants nothing else but to achieve this goal that “I am clumsy”. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
14. With the use of hypnosis, the subconscious mind is entered and that belief is changed to something like… “ I am now naturally careful” … and the subconscious mind is now set to achieve this goal of being careful. It’s that easy. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
15. <ul><li>Now lets talk about the Conscious mind. </li></ul><ul><li>This is the analytical part of the mind. </li></ul><ul><li>It analyzes everything. </li></ul><ul><li>It’s asking questions. </li></ul><ul><li>It wants every little detail about every bit of information that comes your way. </li></ul><ul><li>It’s asking how does this work, how does that work? </li></ul>HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
16. It’s kind of like when someone tells you something and you think… “ I wonder what they are really up to?” … it’s because: The conscious mind is very analytical. The conscious mind also stores the critical factor. The critical factor is the watchdog of the subconscious mind. It has built a wall around the subconscious mind that only has one doorway which it is guarding. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
17. The critical factor’s job is to take any new information you observe and compare it to beliefs you have already stored in the subconscious mind. If this new information is in conflict with your belief, the critical factor will refuse the new information and it will not enter the subconscious mind. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
18. If the new information has nothing to be compared to, the critical factor will store it in a part of the subconscious mind designed for storing “possible beliefs”…“but let’s wait till we have more information on this”. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
19. Now this is VERY important: It’s the critical factor which makes it impossible for us to change our beliefs and habits just with pure conscious thought. We all seem to be able to understand and figure out how we need to change, but doing it seems to be impossible – and its because the critical factor is refusing this as a belief. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
20. Sure, we have all known someone that has just said “I’m done smoking” and have quit smoking for the rest of their lives, no problem. But a state of natural hypnosis was achieved at some point without their knowing. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
21. So this brings us now to hypnosis. In a state of hypnosis, the critical factor of the conscious mind is bypassed, or we could say distracted. And once distracted, it gets lazy. It doesn’t want to watch guard. It says “as long as nothing harmful is going to happen, I’m taking a break.” HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc .
22. Now powerful positive suggestions can go right into the subconscious mind and overpower those beliefs that were causing you trouble. Then these new suggestions become the beliefs you want. You see, the critical factor isn’t there to block these suggestions, like when you are not in hypnosis. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
23. In fact, the definition of hypnosis given by the United States government goes like this: “ The bypass of the critical factor of the conscious mind and the establishment of acceptable selective thinking .” Now we have already covered the bypass of the critical factor… SO the establishment of acceptable selective thinking is just YOU saying: “you know, I really like that suggestion. It will work for me.” YOU are accepting this suggestion into the subconscious mind. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
24. If you were given a suggestion that you don’t agree with or you just thought “You know what, that one just won’t work for me” then you just simply would not allow it into the subconscious mind by choice. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
25. This brings us to misconceptions about hypnosis. And there are many, - thanks to the movies, books, and many other forms of entertainment. Even the stage hypnotist uses these misconceptions to add a magical and mystical effect to the show. But I’m going to tell you right now, that all of this is just glitter and stars added to a fantasy concept that is very entertaining to the thought. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
26. Let’s start with the fact that you do not black out when in hypnosis. You actually see and hear things just fine, if not better than before. Let’s do this. Let me show you right now what it is like to be hypnotized. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
27. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc. Okay? Here we go… Try this process- Just close your eyes until you hear the chimes. That is what it is like to be hypnotized. You remain completely aware of your surroundings. Right? And all your senses are more tuned in.
28. Now the only difference between that and actual hypnosis is: In hypnosis you may have certain sensations of deep relaxation, sensations of tingling in your hands and feet, a feeling of heaviness, being loose and limp like a wet dishrag, a feeling of lightness in which you are floating or even feeling as if you have become completely detached from your body. Your body may become very cold or very warm. All of these sensations feel very nice by the way. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
29. So yes, you are completely aware when in hypnosis. As a matter of fact, it is said that hypnosis is a heightened state of awareness. Did you know that there have been times that you have actually gone into a deep state of hypnosis all on your own? Yes, you sure have. What about when you daydream and you are in such deep thought, that you are entirely focused on that thought. You are so focused on that thought that you are almost completely within yourself but yet at the same time completely aware of everything going on around you. This is hypnosis. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
30. Another example is called highway hypnosis. This is when you are driving a route that you drive a lot and then one day you go into deep thought, you are thinking about the day you are going to have, or the day you just had. And then, suddenly you are at your destination and you shake your head and say to yourself. How did I get here? I don’t remember a thing. Did I run any red lights or stop signs? That must have been unsafe! Well actually, you were probably safer than ever, because that was your subconscious mind driving the car. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
31. Your subconscious mind just said “well it looks like you are too occupied to drive right now and I want you to be okay, so I’m driving. Don’t worry I know where you are going. Just keep thinking about what you’re thinking about.” Your subconscious mind’s main goal is to always ensure your safety. And that is why, when in hypnosis you can not be made to do something harmful to yourself. The subconscious mind is your protector and the guard of your morals too. That’s right. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
32. In hypnosis you can not be made to do something that you wouldn’t normally do or that is against your morals either. Think about it. Your subconscious mind is where you store your beliefs. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
33. A hypnotist can’t just go in there and change these beliefs, because you still have to agree that you would like these changes. A hypnotist couldn’t even try to trick you into these changes either. Because in hypnosis you are at a heightened state of awareness and you would see right through any trick. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
34. This idea that people can be controlled when in hypnosis is a huge misconception. You see, a hypnotist is only a guide to help you achieve hypnosis and to perform the therapies needed to reach your goals, all because you want this. YOU are actually the one in complete control. Hypnosis doesn’t happen unless you want it to happen. Hypnosis ends when you want it to end. The suggestions given to you are only accepted if you wish to accept them. You control what happens and what doesn’t happen. You have control. That is why a person can never be left in hypnosis forever. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
35. Let’s say something happened to the hypnotist and you were still hypnotized. You would simply emerge yourself from hypnosis. A lot of hypnotists will allow their client to emerge themselves at their own rate. So the same is true if there is any danger at all. Any threat at all, and you would just open your eyes and do what is needed. This also applies to a hypnotist giving you suggestions against your beliefs and morals. You would simply open your eyes, stand up, and walk away. Remember you have control, not the hypnotist! HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
36. Oh yes, let me bring this up too. In hypnosis you can not be forced to reveal secrets of any kind, or be given suggestions to give your money away. And that’s because once again you are in control. Okay, I hope that clears up any misconceptions you may have had about hypnosis and you realize that the hypnotist doesn’t have control but that you have control. Keep in mind though, that you need to follow the hypnotist’s suggestion completely - being that you agree with them - in order for this partnership to work. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
37. Just know that the hypnotist is there to guide you with all of their knowledge through a pleasant and successful hypnosis experience and that you are to focus and follow the hypnotist’s simple suggestions fully, with the attitude of “I really like that suggestion” and you will have great results. HEALTHePATH Associates, Inc.
38. To schedule your appointment <ul><li>Contact us: </li></ul>