Inside Gnizr Dr. Harry Chen CMSC 491S/691S February 4, 2008
- Design and implementation
Gnizr in brief
- gnizr is a web-based information organizer that helps users to find , bookmark , visualize and share information.
- Early prototypes were developed under NGA and AFRL funded research projects.
- Inspired by Web 2.0 apps, the Semantic Web and the mashup culture.
Free the technology
- Gnizr Open Source Project
- http:// gnizr.googlecode.com
- Image Matters supports this project under its commercial product: Gnizr Enterprise
- Targets enterprise users that require customized knowledge fusion and integration solutions.
- Integrated with IM’s KnowledgeSmarts technology.
- Built-on Gnizr Open Source.
- In many government organizations, information is stored in distributed data stores, often with heterogeneous format.
- Many organizations can’t use the existing Web 2.0 applications because sensitive data can’t be shared with the public.
Specific technical issues
- Fuse information from distributed data stores to create new knowledge so that users can discover new hidden knowledge
- Invent new tools for effective retrieval, visualization and sharing of knowledge. Information of different types are uniformly organized.
- Develop new tools to help users to monitor knowledge change and discover new relations.
How gnizr comes to help
Demo: gnizr in action
Screenshots of gnizr More on Flickr : http://tinyurl.com/yrva8s
Inside gnizr’s application framework
- The gnizr application is built on the WebWork application framework
- Data models are stored in MySQL
- Tables for bookmarks, tags, users, links etc.
- Use stored procedures for data operations
- Create new application behaviors by adding custom WebWork action classes
- Mix gnizr with other web applications
- Assignment #1 (will be posted)
What Gnizr Open Source Uses
- Eclipse IDE & free plug-ins
- Google Code (for project hosting)