Hossam - Analysing the walking dead opening sequencePresentation Transcript
Media - Analysing The Walking
Dead opening sequence
• Mise en scene
• Editing including sound
• What elements make this opening engaging for
• The opening introduces the main characters
• For example, the first photo of a person we see is the
main characters in the news paper with the word
• This creates an enigma code and make it more
interesting for the audience.
• Then we see a pan shot of an abandoned pharmacy,
which states to the audience that the main character is
injured in some way.
• All the shots are either Pans or zooms out.
• Plus, all the shots last for a maximum of a two second
period and they are all urban. This tells us that the
setting is in the city.
• This is to shock the viewer because if the image was
left on for long enough, the viewer would get used to
Mise en scene
This is flowed by two other main characters. One’s picture with broken glass frame
and the other’s is under the rubble.
After the shot of the main character, we then a series of abandoned places, which
were a house and a caravan, which are also enigma codes and then an abandoned
child’s teddy bear.
The abandoned toy could say to the audience that the owner of the teddy bear
was either pulled away in a rush or something could have happened to them.
This is because children don’t usually leave their toys anywhere.
This is then answered by an image of crows eating
flesh off the teddy later.
Editing including sound
• The type of music they use is called staccato.
• Staccato music means it uses short notes and
short notes are usually associated with
• There are also a very high pitched base.
What elements make this opening
engaging for an audience?
• The enigma codes made by showing the audience
abandoned places makes them ask themselves
questions such as “what happened?”.
• There is also an enigma code when the audience
see the pictures of the main characters.
• This makes them wonder if the characters will live
• We know it is set in the city because the
images of abandoned places are found in the
• For example the abandoned roads.
• Since it is called “The Walking Dead”, this says
that the theme is about zombies.
• The main character is wearing a police
uniform which tells us that he is a police
• Plus, the teddy bear story is covered in one of