Conventions of television news
By Munira Mohamed
• Archival footage
• L cuts over visuals
• Titles to tell us names
• Music at the beginning – serious, strident, forceful, official
• Ident – world, colour coding of BBC, names of cities,
• Mid shots of anchor behind newsdesk
• Seeing the newsroom behind
• Photos – slow zooms
• Rack focus
• Representation of anchor – serious, formal
• Anonymising faces etc
• Additional information provided visually
Identifying the Conventions
• Archival footage is a material obtained from a
film library or archive and inserted into a
documentary to show historical events or to
add detail without the need for additional
filming. Archival footage is used in television
news to show that the information that there
giving is very reliable and true.
• They use interviews in television news, these
are common technique. It allows people being
filmed to speak directly about events,
prompted by the questions asked by the
filmmaker. Interview in television news is
much more time consuming than normal
• An L cut is an edit transition from one shot to
another in film or video, where the picture and
sound are synchronized but the transitions in
each are not coincident.
• The tittles of the name is a way of showing
who is talking and what there name is. This
helps the people know more easily.
Identifying the Conventions
• The music at the beginning of the news channel is the theme
tune for the channel, this music is very serious and shows the
authority that the news channel has. The theme tune of the
news channel is very catchy so there it will straight away catch
the audience of the news channel attention that its on. The
music is very strident forceful and official to the people who
watch the news.
• The identity of the news channel is very important. Every
news channel is different from each other , they have
different theme tunes, different set, different techniques.
• The news shows normally use mid shots of an anchor behind
the news desk to show the seriousness of the news show and
it also shows the present and how serious about reporting the
news. Seeing the news room shows that everything they are
presenting is very real and show that this all live.
• There photos used in the news show to make sure the
audience that are watching understand what's going on, they
zoom in and out to show the images very clearly to audience.
• They represent the news show to be very serious and formal,
to show the audience that all the information used and shown
to the public is all true.
• Form: TV news bulletin
• Structure: Headlines, news reports, sport,
• Content: Current affairs
• Technical conventions: Codes and conventions
• Mode of address: Formal, serious, informative
¿Le ha llamado la atención una diapositiva en particular?
Recortar diapositivas es una manera útil de recopilar información importante para consultarla más tarde.