A Level Media Studies
G324 Advanced Production Portfolio
• What can you remember about each of the following Theorists?
• Mind map your ideas!
If I was analysing a music video, what
would I use?
• Connotations within mise-en-scene
• Goodwin’s theory
– relationship between the music and the visuals
- Voyeurism (The male gaze theory – Laura Mulvey)
• Structure (narrative, abstract, hybrid and performance)
• Narrative theory - Propp’s characters, Todorov – Equilibrium theory,
Strauss – Binary opposition
• Auteur theory
• Star theory – the star as a product
• Codes and conventions (semiotics, verbal, technical and symbolic)
• Micro and macro analysis
(micro = codes, mise-en-scene. Macro = G.R.A.I.N genre,
representation, audience, institution, narrative)