What do they
Auteur Theory suggests that a director can use the
commercial apparatus of film-making in the same
way that a writer uses a pen or a painter uses paint
and a paintbrush.
It is a medium for the personal artistic expression of
the director. The film theoretician, André Bazin,
explained that: auteur theory was a way
of choosing the personal factor in artistic creation
as a standard of reference, and then assuming that
it continues and even progresses from one film to
Music video Directors can be auteurs.
The platform can allow for more creative, artistic
expression than film making. Auteurs may use the
medium to showcase a distinct style, repetition of
themes, iconography (symbolic codes), technical
codes, and contributing music artists in their work.
You should be able to draw clear connections
between their work, much like you can with Tim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Az_7U0-cK0 – ‘Come to
Daddy’ Aphex Twin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS088Opj9o0 – ‘Frozen’
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDDxCdm9Oo – ‘Only you’
Watch the videos.
What themes immerge in his work?
What codes and conventions does he employ?
• Jonathan Glazer (Enid, Chloe )
• Spike Jonze (Ryan, Mujo)
• Michel Gondry (Kenya, Fatima)
• Hype Williams (Troy, Brandon)
• Floria Sigismondi (Sulieman, Indiya)
You will create a case study on your chosen Director.
• Find and evidence (screen grab, annotate, analyse and compare) 3 music
videos that showcase the Auteur theory.
• Use micro and macro analysis to identify and analyse the themes in their
• Look for the ‘mirror ball’ series on you tube for interviews with the director
and examples of work. Do they have any specific inspirations?
• Have they moved into film? Can you see a correlation between their music
video and film work?
• What kind of music artists and genres do they work with?