My A.C.E.S. Folder“Achieving CRCT Excellence in Science” ___________________ Name
1. Earth’s Layers Draw and Label (Use both pages)Crust:•We live here•THINNEST LAYER•Tectonic platesMantle•THICKEST LAYER•Convection Currents•Molten RockOuter Core•LIQUID Iron and NickelInner Core•SOLID Iron and Nickel•MOST DENSE
2. Soil and Minerals- Use both pages but leave room for mineral facts at bottom• http://www.childrenoftheearth.org/soil- facts-for-kids/soil-facts-for-kids-04.htmO Horizon=“Organic” material/humus OA Horizon=Topsoil is AliveB Horizon=Subsoil-Because it’s hard toget throughC Horizon=You “C” less living stuff init than O, A, or BBedrock=Soil has a bed made of rock
Minerals (at bottom of soil page)REMEMBER!Minerals:• Naturally occur• Are inorganic• Are solid• Have a crystal structure• Have a definite chemical composition
3. The Rock Cycle Draw and label at topVolcanicmaterial or chemical change Organic materialRocks are madeup of minerals. DepositionMinerals are not Compactionmade up of rocks! Cementation Fossil rock Heat and Pressure •Or Chemical Change
Define the three main rock types (at bottom of rock cycle page)• Igneous rock-formed from melted rock that has cooled and solidified (both at the surface and deep below it)• Metamorphic rock-formed deep in the Earth from heat and pressure that causes rock to completely change• Sedimentary rock-formed at the surface of the Earth, either in water or on land, they are layered accumulations of sediments-fragments of rocks, minerals, or animal or plant material compacted and cemented together• http://www.classzone.com/books/earth_science/terc/conten t/investigations/es0602/es0602page02.cfm Animation
4. Water Cycle/AtmosphereGlue diagram on top; then fill in chart
5. Ocean Motion/Heat Transfer (Top Left)Ocean Motion• Currents-caused by wind; Earth’s rotation; changes in temperature, salinity or density• Waves-caused by wind; Transfer of energy from earthquakes (tsunamis)• Tides-caused by the gravitational pull from the Sun and Moon on Earth’s watersDraw and label diagram
Heat Transfer (Top Right)• Glue diagram in place; copy song SONG: Conduction- Must be touchin’ Radiation- Moves through space Convection- Needs a solid or gas To move from Place to Place
Ocean topography (Glue picture on bottom)• Draw and label Ocean water : •salty •contains sodium chloride (NaCl) (Sea Floor Spreading)
6. Plate Tectonics• Glue plate boundary chart on bottom page• Fill in chart• Draw and label the following diagrams underneath the chart
Continental Drift Theory:German scientist Alfred Wegener formedthis idea of Continental Drift. He arguedthat today’s continents once formed asingle landmass, which he namedPangaea. Pangaea Glue Pangaea above and label• Plate Tectonic Theory: Glue volcano The theory that would explain the foldable here formation, movement and subduction of Earth’s plates.
7. Write “Astronomy” on the bottom of the last sheetOn the back, glue graphic organizer with key facts.
Phases-draw and label Eclipses-draw and label Tides-draw and label
COMETS:Draw and labelHead=Coma+NucleusMeteoroids: in space Theories Astronomers:Meteors: “shooting stars” that burn up in Geocentric: Ptolemy devised 1. Galileo-telescopeMesosphere theory that the Earth was the 2. Ptolemy-Geocentric theoryMeteorites: hit Earth’s surface center of the Universe and planets revolved around it 3. Copernicus-Heliocentric theory Heliocentric: Copernicus came up 4. Kepler-Elliptical orbitsAsteroids: with the theory that all the planets revolved around the Sun Geo=Earth Helio=Sun Centric=CenterDraw and label the solar system including the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter and the Oort Cloud at the outer edge of theSolar System: