Closing Activity: Which part of the scientific method is most important? Why do you have this opinion?
Popping Cans: Try to find the one for the can pop (density) Need safety goggles; hot plates, water, cold water/ice, tongs, oven mitts, metal can Enrichment/Remediation Activities: Checking for understanding—describe a lab safety rule and illustrate (collect as students leave)
Assessments/Tasks: Performance Assessment: Drops on a Penny (observation of students participating in a lab) Enrichment/Remediation Activities: Reflection on Penny Lab (self-grading, if time permits)
1. August 13, 2012 Essential Question: What processes are involved in the scientific method? S6CS1 Learning Target: I can identify and describe the steps of the scientific method. Start-Up: What types of science experiments have you done?Agenda Start-Up Activities. BrainPop: Scientific Method. Notes. Puzzle Closing ActivityHomework: Syllabus signed; Puzzles
2. August 14, 2012 Essential Question: What are the standard safety practices for classroom laboratories and investigations? S6CS Learning Target: I can identify appropriate lab safety procedures. Start-Up: What is a hypothesis?Agenda: Collect Syllabus Start-Up Activities Lab Demo/Lab safety video Notes Lab safety contract Closing ActivityHomework: Get lab safety contract signed Quiz on Friday
3. August 15, 2012 Essential Question: What are the standard safety practices for classroom laboratories and investigations? S6CS Learning Target: I can identify appropriate lab safety procedures. Start-Up: List the steps of the scientific method.Agenda: Collect Papers Start-Up Activities Lab safety video SpongeBobHomework: Classwork not completed in class Lab Contract Signed Quiz
4. August 16, 2012 Essential Question: How is the scientific method applied during an experiment? S6CS Learning Target: I can demonstrate appropriate procedures when conducting an experiment. Start-Up: List 3 safety rules.Agenda Collect Papers Start-Up Activities Review lab safety/Procedures for lab Performance Assessment/Lab Self-ReflectionHomework:
5. August 17, 2012 EQ: What have I learned about the scientific method and lab safety? S6CS1 LT: I can identify the correct procedures for the classroom and laboratory. SU: What should you do if something is spilled or gets broken during a lab?Agenda: Collect Papers Start-Up Activities Review lab safety Lab Safety Quiz Homework: All forms due Monday