• SriLanka is Agricultural based Country.• There are many Water Management System around the Country , like Tanks.• The main reason for choose this project several areas in the Sri Lanka have been flooded cause by the following continuous overnight Rain.• The existing Water Management System that Irrigation department of SriLanka using is Outdated.• Yet , there is no Fully Functional and Effective Management System to manage water levels of this tanks.
•The proposed Automated water management system forIrrigation Department of Sri Lanka, is Call it asRalapanawaRND•System will evaluate the performance of each and everyday, Get the tank water levels and sends that to maindatabase server on our main web based system through theMicrocontroller.• Next alternative is Android Mobile Application for theIrrigator and Technical Assistant, to Feed their manuallytaken values to the System.
FACTS: •The Batticaloa Unnichai tank’s 3 spill gates were also open as a result of the heavy rain, sources in the area told Daily Mirror online. •At least 1000 people have been affected by the flooding in Batticaloa while in Ampara and Trincomalee several houses have been affected. Source: Daily Mirror Author: Amadoru Amarageeva, Wasantha Chandrapala and Yohan PereraThis is happening continuously to the people living near Irrigation TankAreas!!
So the survived people asks….”Where is the Flood Warning???”There is no proper Irrigation Flood Warning System in Sri Lanka yet!
“Ralapanawa RND”Disaster Management System + AUTOMATED WATER MANAGEMENT SYSTEMRalapanawa RND is not only a Single Disaster Management SystemProject. This is combination of several project elements which automatesOfficial processes of Irrigation Department, Sri Lanka.
• There’s no that kind of Disaster management available in Sri Lanka yet! • There are few Irrigation Systems available here, but those are not related to this case. One of those are…. Automated irrigation system : Automated water timer (Brain)An automatic water timer system will beattached to the outside tap.Its having a rain detection system will alsoensure that water timer will not go off if it hasdetected rain, reducing any additional water usethat is not required.
• From India, Germany, USA countries we found similar Approaches of Systems those trying to prevent the actual problem. Microcontroller Based Automated Water Level Sensing and Controlling System• This system gets Water levels of tanks using aElectronic system with a Microcontrollerintegration.• The Electronic embedded system isconnected with a Motor.
Existing Systems Disaster Management Automated Water System Management System Local Systems - - International Systems + - Ralapanawa RND + + [+] > Implemented [- ] > Not Implemented• Ralapanawa got both Disaster Management System plus AutomatedWater management System!
• Water level monitoring thru web system and android mobile. Microcontroller based water level monitoring device• System resolves the problems in Calculations log book handling
• Android Mobile Application for the Irrigator and Technical Assistant Enter the water levels Irrigator can view passed records Get feedback from the site engineer Record supplied water details for paddy fields GPS based length measurement Check review
• Site engineer can track irrigators and Technical officers positions (Via GPS)• Monitor the tank by CCTV Cameras L.Sajev IT 10 6007 26
• If the tank water level exceeds the limit it will forward an SMS alert to the relevant officers• Replacing paper based water levels display board
The project development team has decided to choose Prototyping as methodology. There are four phases - Planning - Analyzing - Designing - Implementation
Planning Analysis Design System Implementati Prototype on Implementati on System prototyping methodology performs the analysis, design, and implementation phases concurrently, and all three phases are performed repeatedly in a cycle until the system is completed
Requirement Description Price per unit Quantity Total(Rs.) (Rs.) Microcontroller(16F887) 400.00 1 400.00 Microcontroller programmer 1000.00 1 1000.00 Hardware Electronic equipment’s 1000.00 - 1000.00 equipment’s Serial to USB converter 900.00 1 900.00 x Web camera 1000.00 1 1000.00 USB dongle 2000.00 1 2000.00 Documenting and Document hard copy printings - - 1500.00 Binding & Binding costequipment Travelling charge to Irrigation department head office Travel Jawaththa, Kurunegala 1000.00 2 2000.00 Batticaloa, regional offices by Bus. Internet Charges 1000.00 Direct Costs Electricity Charges 1000.00 3000.00 Communication Charges 1000.00 Total Cost for hole project 12900.00
• There are currently no any automated system to identify the tank water level in irrigation department.• If caused by natural disaster or human perception, cant find out the tank water level.• “Ralapanawa RND” system has combinations projects.• “Ralapanawa RND” system can change currently manual system to automated one.• Android mobile application – irrigator & technical officers to feed their manually taken values to the system• GPS Position.
• monitor the tank level by CCTV camera• Flood alerts.• Finally we could clearly say this “Ralapanawa RND” System will be perfect full fills the needs of Irrigation Department.
Statement of the Disaster management Assistant DirectorThe project seems to be a large impact to the irrigation societyand also disaster preparedness. Therefore, there was pressureto implement quickly.The current disaster preparedness mechanism is notaccommodating functionality IT requirements. This is one of the reason for recent major flood in Batticaloadistrict and it caused grater damaged due to flood water camefrom our irrigation dams. …………Mr.Shanmuganathan InparajanAssistant Director (District)Disaster Management Coordination UnitDS, Batticaloa.
Statement of the Divisional Assistant of irrigation Department From this Project Irrigation Department of Sri Lanka will get many benefits. Mainly, they can reduce paper work and provide more accurate and reliable Information quickly. Also from this they can reduce the damage caused by flooding, because they can warn people before it happen.…………Mr.S.E .RavindraDivisional AssistantProvincial irrigation DepartmentChenkalady, Batticaloa.