16 Feb, 2009 Mr.Pranab Mukherjee
presented UPA’S Interim Budget in
India gets 12th Interim Budget
This is the first Budget in the face of global
• All efforts made to deliver on commitments
Farmers to get loan upto 3 lakhs at 7%.
Food, fertiliser, petroluem subsidies to go
Rs 8,300 cr for mid-day meal scheme.
Infrastructure spending to be 9% of GDP
Economy grew at 9% for straight 3rd year.
• Custom duties rates steadily reduced.
• Six new IIMs to be operational by 2010.
• 2 more IITs in MP, HP to start in '10
GDP growth of 7.1% makes India second
fastest growing economy.
No tax changes in the Interim Budget.
Defense spending up by 31%. Have
allocated Rs 1,41,703 cr in defense sector.
• Railway Budget presented by Shri Lalu
Is up by 31%
of Rs.1,41,703 Cr
Shri Lalu Prasad Yadav presented his 6th
Railway Budget, with statement
“I have done my bit in the past five budgets
to benefit the people. It doesn’t happen in
one day. It is a continuous process.”
• To start 43 new trains in next financial
• Railway cash surplus at Rs. 90000 crores
in last 5 years
• Fares of ordinary passenger trains
reduced by rupee 1 for fares costing upto
rupees 50 for journey above 10 kilometers.
• 2% cut in fares of Trains exceeding 50
• Agartala, the capital of Tripura, has been
connected by railways in the current year,
and it is the first rail connection to another
north eastern state since independence.
• New Delhi-Ahmedabad Rajdhani becomes
daily from 6 days a week
• Bhubaneshwar-New Delhi Rajdhani
becomes four days a week
• Nizamuddin-Bangalore Rajdhani tri-weekly
• Feasability studies on for running Bullets
, Hyderbada-Vijaywada- Chennai,
Planning to change the whole catering
system as lot of complaints are there
against food served in trains. This time,
more emphasis will be laid on the hygiene
and quality of food in kitchen cell system
The Budget was below the expectations of
General Public, but lets not forget,
”It’s the Mother, who gives bitter pills
to her child for his/her welfare”