Effective managers, manage
themselves and the people
they work with so that both
the people and the
organization profit from
Theme and Story
The “One Minute Manager” is a simple
compilation of commonly used management
It is all about how people produce valuable
results, and feel good about themselves, the
organization and the other people with whom
This story revolves around a young man who in
his search of an effective manager, came to
know how a person can be a one minute
A young man was in search of an effective
manager who manage himself and his
employees in such a manner so that both the
employees and the organization benefit from
In his search he came to know about a special
manager who lived ironically and people liked
to work with him.
The young man went to see him.
Young man told the manager, that he wanted to
know what type of manager are you…. ? ?
Manager replied – A “One Minute Manager”.
Young man wondered….
Manager smiled and said – It is because it takes very little
time for him to get very big results from people.
Young man never heard of such thing so it was hard to
Young man asked, “I never heard of anyone being one
minute manager, what is it?”
Manager replied - you may better asked it from my
Young man took the name of three employees and leave the
office to meet them.
• One Minute Goal
• One Minute
• One Minute
One Minute Goal
Make clear what your
authorities are and what
you are responsible for
One Minute Goal Setting:
• Young man went to ask Trenell how the manager
is one minute manager?
• Ternell replied that, this is because the manager
helped him in One minute goal setting.
• Young men was surprised – “What is one minute
• Ternell explained –
– Decide your goal and write it on single sheet of
paper using less than 250 words.
:O ne M inute G oalSetting
• Read and Re-read each goal whenever possible.
• Take a minute every once in a while out of your
day to look at your performance.
• See whether or not your behavior matches your
• One minute manager believes in 80-20 goal
setting i.e. 80% of our really important results
will come 20% of our goals.
• So one minute goal setting is understanding what
are our responsibilities and performing up to a
desired level to achieve a particular goal.
Agree on the goals
Look at performance, match
it with the actual goals and
“Everyone Is A
Some People are
Don’t Let Their
One minute praising
Catch them doing something
good and praise them
immediately when they do so,
as it will have a
greater and long term effect .
Share your feelings about
what they did right and how
it helps the organization and
the other people who work
• The young man went to Levy’s office and asked
him how the manager is “one minute
• Levy told him – “because our manager give us
one minute praising”
• Young man – “what is one minute praising”
• Levy started talking about the one minute praising
with the young man and said the one minute
manager made it very clear what they were
suppose to do.
• The one minute manager provided them with
feedback and kept close contact with them.
• He had close contact in two ways.
– First, he observed all our activities.
– Secondly, he made us keep detail record of our
progress and asked to submit it to him.
• By this Levy earlier thought that one minute
manager was spying, but later he found that
the manager was trying to catch us doing
Encourage them to do
more of the same
• One minute manager then comes and puts his
hand on our shoulder.
• He does it because he cares for us and wants us to
• You don’t have to praise someone for long for
them to know you notice and you care. It takes
less then one minute.
• Young man now understands what one minute
• He left levy’s office to meet Ms. Brown, the third
Tough on performance not
tough on the person
• The young man at the last meets Ms. Brown.
• Man gets shocked and astonished when he heard
the answer of Ms. Brown of “One Minute
Reprimands” as the third step of being a One
• Ms. Brown explained-Manager searched for every
significant mistake done by his employees.
• He confirmed the facts and responded
immediately by telling the guilty person about
the mistake precisely.
• Then he maintained silence for few seconds
and told the concerned person how
competent he/she was.
• Then he told the concerned person that he did
so because he had respect for them.
• Advices the concerned person not to repeat the
mistake and then kidded for few seconds
which created a positive effect.
• Young man was still confused how the “one
minute reprimands work”.
• So he went back to manager office.
• He wondered when manager greeted him with a
• Manager asked – “Well what did you find out in
• A lot, young man replied enthusiastically.
• “What did you think about all that?”- Manager
• I could understand it more, if you please
explained it in detail,” said the young man.
• One minute manager explains -
“The Best Minute I Spend
Is The One I Invest In
• One minute goal setting is a basic tool for
• It help people to focus on their goals, as they
could review their goals frequently and then
check their performance against those goals.
• This is how One minute goal works – said the
One minute manager.
• “Would you explain how “One Minute Praising”
works - Young man.
• I would like to give you an example –Of whale as
to how whale are taught to jump over a rope
which is high above the water.
• Same is the case with us.
• We feel motivated when we were praised for
something we had done well. In most
organizations Managers wait until their people do
something right before they praise them, as a
result they never get high performance because
they concentrate on catching them doing things
• Rather they punish them if they had done
• Punishments causes lack of confidence and make
people to feel unsecure.
• While I always praise them even if they do
something approximately right.
• This make them feel good and more secure about
• They work more energetically towards their goal,
which in turn help organization to achieve its
• Young man – I think I understand why One
minute goal and why One minute praising
work, But I can’t imagine why one minute
“We Are Not
We Are The
Be immediate and specific,
about poor performance
Tell them how you feel about
what they did wrong , by
aware again of the real and
deviated paths .
Encourage them and remind
them how much you still
value them as a person
because the problem was
with their way of working
and not them.
Let them know it is over
WHY ONE MINUTE GOALS
• EVERYONE IS MOTIVATED TO DO
• TAKE A MINUTE ,LOOK AT YOUR
GOALS,LOOK AT YOUR
PERFORMANCE,SEE IF YOUR
BEHAVIOUR MATCHES YOUR GOALS.
WHY ONE MINUTE
• IMMEDIATE FEEDBACK.
• MANIPULATIVE MANAGERS.
• IT IS FOR CORRECTING THE
BEHAVIOUR AND RETAINING THE
• GET HOT THEN COLD.
• WE ARE NOT JUST OUR BEHAVIOUR
WE ARE THE PERSON MANAGING
WHO CAN BE A ONE MINUTE
• SENSE OF EMPATHY FOR OTHERS.
• WHO CONSIDERS EVERY HUMAN
BEING AS A POTENTIAL WINNER.
• This means we have to manage people
and not just their recent behavior.
• My Aim while giving One Minute
reprimand is – to eliminate the
behavior and keep the person.
• Even the second half of my reprimand
• “Why wouldn’t you give the praising
first and then the reprimand?”
suggested the young man.
• It is not, because “I am really tough and
nice as a manager”.