Determine your purpose and subjectPresentation Transcript
Determine Your Purpose and
NAME : DEVI HARISANDI
Class : 4D
NPM : 11.10.010.745.151
Determine Your Purpose and
To develop an effective speech you must have a
clear purpose in mind.
The importance of purpose in oral
Your aim as speaker should be to fulfill a
purpose by achieving a desired response.
Selecting a subject :
once you clearly understand the general
purpose of your speech, you are ready to choose
a subject. There will undoubtedly be times when
be you will be asked to deliver a speech on a
topic that has already been determine. For
example : you are asked to give a report on a
convention you attended as a delegate.
1.Is the subject Suited to My Purpose?
Suppose you are asked to deliver a speech whose general purpose is to
2. Is My Subject interesting to me ?
Whenever possible choose a subject you find interesting. Enthusiasm is a
key factor to successful speaking.
3. Am I Qualified to speak on this subject ?
The fact that you are interested in a subject does not necessarily mean
that you are qualified to speak on it.
4. Will My Audience find this subject interesting ?
It takes little effort to pay attention to a subject that interesting.
5. Will My Audience Find This Subject Useful ?
The people will willingly pay attention to a communication if the expect
to gain something useful from doing so. Consider your own experience.
6. Is My Subject Sufficiently Restricted ?
In most cases you will be given a definite time limit when you are asked
to give a speech.
Specific Purpose :
after you have chosen your subject in accordance with
the considerations above, you are ready to formulate a
Earlier I classified the general purposes for
• 1. General Purpose : to entertain
• 2. General purpose : to inform
• 3. General purpose : to persuade
General and Specific Purpose :
• A. To amuse my audience by
explaining how to wash a
• B. To hold my audience in
suspense while telling of
the time I was robbed
• C. to amaze my audience
with a demonstration of
• D. To fascinate my audience
with a story about my first
General purpose: to
• A. To explain the art of tree
• B. to demonstrate how to
make an omelet
• C. to show how to take an
• D. to report the result of a
General and specific purposes :
Specific purposes :
• A. To motivate my audience to contribute
• B. To prove to my audience that my new
plan for ending the arms race will work.
• C. to increase my audience’s reverence for
• D. to modify my audience’s attitude about
The Central Idea :
• Once you have phrased your specific –
purpose statement, it is wise to state the
central idea of your speech in a complete
• The central idea may be thought of as the
thesis, the key statement.
• The central idea as a complete sentence will
help you plan your communication more