Intro to Social Media for Business
Connecting, communicating and growing on the Social Web
Katie Laird | Schipul - The Web Marketing Company | www.schipul.com
2. Listen, respond Social
Experiment until Rock
they get it right
Unique + stand
out from crowd
1. People are talking
2. Meet your customers
where they are
3. Your competitors
are doing it
4. SEO ~ get found!
5. Low cost, high
6. Create Raving Fans!
4. Some things we will look into today...
• Storytelling tools on the Web
• The art of listening
• Personal Brands are here!
The business case for Social Media and online networking
Find this presentation: www.slideshare.net/happykatie
6. 4 Elements of Storytelling
1. Message 4. Plot
So my point is...
2. Conﬂict 3. Characters
7. Who is your audience?
???????????? ???????????? ?
8. Take care
9. How are businesses and
organizations using social media?
Building relationships &
interacting with people
Promoting products or
services to the public
Making strong brand
10. Types of Social Media Tools
Your online tools
12. 5 Tips for your Web site or Blog
• Keep it simple
• Calls to action
• Provide value + stay fresh
• Make yourself easy to contact
13. All about...
14. Embeddable pics and videos
Research Fund Drive
1000’s of personal Stories
Helping a Community heal after a tragic loss
15. Tony Chachere’s Blog - fun, friendly and informative
16. Find Stories that
resonate with you.
17. Google Blog:
18. Anatomy of a Blog post
19. Some great Blogging tool options:
www.wordpress.org www.typepad.com www.blogger.com
20. 400 million +
307 million Americans
21. Avoiding someone?
Why pages rock...
23. Page Power in Facebook
25. The Facebook Marketing Bible: www.insidefacebook.com
26. All about...
27. Why should I care?
Frank Eliason - @comcastcares
• Simple question: “Can I help?”
• Take it offline when needed
• Turned around Comcast’s reputation for
service and support
•“We didn’t have a choice”
Twitter includes others in ongoing dialogue
29. Hootsuite is awesome!
30. How can you play
with your audience?
Use free tools to track the Twitter buzz...
32. All about...
33. Musicians and artists promote on MySpace
Houston musician Andrew Karnavas: www.myspace.com/andrewkarnavas
36. Business opportunities on LinkedIn
Start a group to connect
Ask and answer questions
37. Start loving...
38. United Way: www.youtube.com/unitedway
39. Buy a Flip camera (seriously)
40. Flickr: Sharing Stories and generating buzz
41. A perfect connection opportunity
42. Tap into the Collective creativity!
43. Tracking the Buzz
44. Listening and Engaging: Tracking Tools
Due diligence on your Story
Powerful Social Media search engine
watches for your terms and updates you
Email updates for your company
name and keywords
Yahoo! alerts you of any
occurrences of deﬁned terms and
45. Listening and Engaging: Tracking Tools
What is an Alert? (www.google.com/alerts)
46. Addictive and essential Google Reader: www.google.com/reader
47. IceRocket: www.icerocket.com
Blogpulse: www.blogpulse.com/conversation + Social Mention: www.socialmention.com
48. Personal Brands!
49. More than just a person
Hi, I’m happykatie
50. The Big Idea:
Personal Brands are Proﬁtable for Your Business
51. 27 on Twitter
27 on Facebook
Grow your footprint + impact
52. 3,635 page views / 6 months from employee site referrals
$1 / click PPC advertising
$7270 / year FREE online advertising
A tangible Win-Win
53. The ROI of Social Media
Gary Vaynerchuk found:
$15,000 in direct mail = 200 new
$7,500 Billboard = 300 new
$0 twitter = 1,800 new customers
54. Businesses can help Personal
55. Recruit internally for Personal Brands
56. The Brand Development Cycle
57. Let’s talk about threats...
58. Let’s put it all together now
• Find the tools that work for you
• Make it easy to talk to/about you
• Nourish your Personal Brands
Find your advocates and make them heroes
Find this presentation: www.slideshare.net/eschipul
59. Thanks for being here
Schipul - The Web Marketing Company
www.schipul.com // www.tendenci.com
(281) 497.6567, ext 519
Personal brand: www.schipul.com/happykatie
Find these slides on Slideshare: www.slideshare.net/happykatie