(Top Level - Computing has made significant changes over the past 40 years. Today we are witnessing another major shift as the industry embraces Cloud Computing. You should elude to Microsoft’s and your partner company’s part in each of these transformations)MAINFRAME 1970s and 1980sFirst, let us take a look at the past 40 years and how IT has evolved. In the 1970s and 1980s, IT was a large compute device, the mainframe, in the datacenter with terminals on employees desks to retrieve data from the mainframeDuring this time, there was no concept of having computing power on an employee’s desk, applications, or even employees using technology at home. The consumers of these machines were large corporations, financial institutions, and healthcare organizations that were required to store large amounts of data. CLIENT/SERVER 1990sWhen we moved into the 1990s the PC revolution was in full swing. More and more people began to purchase PCs for their home in order to use technology to help with their personal livesAs these people began to have PCs in their homes, they wanted to have the same experience at work as they did at home. Businesses also began to feel the increasing costs of buying, supporting, and maintaining these large computers.IT used PCs as a solution to give employees more power to be more productive, have better access to data, and deliver better and more strategic results. The back office changed to support this shift by writing better applications that had a client component on each employee’s PC. This was very much one of the first instances of self service to dataWEB 2000sAs we approached and passed the year 2000, the Internet was becoming more prevalent in business and at home. More people began to use dial-up access to the Internet through companies like AOL, Netcom, or their local Telco. We even began to see the seeds of high speed internet access moving from business to the homefrontBusiness better adopted the idea of getting increased productivity from users by giving them access to corporate assets while outside of the office. Email, files, internal LOB tools for example. As we moved into 2003-2005 business began using the internet more and more to increase their revenues. Developers began moving away from writing client/server applications to writing applications for the web. Banks began providing online access to account information. Billpay services begun to flourish while online shopping was gaining more and more adoption.The world was moving more towards transacting their lives on the web while business were increasing their productivity and bottom line using the WebTODAY/CLOUDToday, I want to introduce you to a new transformation that is on our doorstep, The CloudThe Cloud is a natural build off the shift to the web, moving more of the tools we use on a day to day basis to someone else to run/support for us.Moving away from worrying about what runs the tools we need, but worrying about building the right toolsThis shift isn’t 1 or 2 years away, it is now.
For WAPU: This slide shows how the various options compare, then explicitly illustrates where the Windows Azure platform fits in. It’s meant to make clear in the audience’s mind the exact place in this broad area that we’re about to dig into more deeply.
Platform as a Service is an evolution in the way businesses will consume IT. There are a number of ways that PaaS improves on the way platforms todayFocus – Todays platforms are not focused on the app, they are focused on the infrastructure. PaaS is focused on the app and where it runsServicing – Todays platforms need to be continually updated by the owner of the platform. PaaS updates the platform automaticallyDeployment – Today’s platforms require assembly, then deployment. PaaS requires only deployment of the app or physical deployment of an applianceConsistency – Today’s platforms are higly custom and inconsistent with each other. PaaS is standardized and consistentResiliency – Todays platforms are built to avoid and recover from failure. PaaS is built to expect and withstand failurePlatform as a Service – It’s all about the App!
Key point: The Windows Azure Platform is a set of cloud computing services that can be used separately or together.Windows Azure is hosted in Microsoft data centers around the world. Windows Azure provides compute power, storage, and automated service management, as well as easy connectivity to other applications and access control to provide secure authorization and authentication of access to cloud resources. Also hosted in the Windows Azure platform is Microsoft SQL Azure, providing relational database services and automated management of relational service. SQL Azure can help reduce costs by integrating with existing toolsets and providing symmetry with on-premises and cloud databases. Windows Azure AppFabric helps developers connect applications and services in the cloud or on-premises. This includes applications running on Windows Azure, Windows Server and a number of other platforms including Java, Ruby, PHP and others. Windows Azure AppFabric provides a Service Bus for connectivity across network and organizational boundaries, and Access Control for federated authorization as a service.
1. Helping ISVs and Enterprises Adopt Windows AzureAccelerate your Cloud Success with Hanu
2. Today’s Discussion Points• Cloud Computing• What is Windows Azure?• Scenarios• Microsoft Partnership• Hanu Azure Delivery Methodology• Success Stories• Next Steps 2
3. Industry Transformation Today | Cloud 2000s | Web 1990s | Client / Server 1970s and 80s | Mainframe 3
4. Cloud Computing Taxonomy The Windows Azure platform fits here Traditional IT IaaS PaaS SaaS You manage Applications Applications Applications Applications Data Data Data Data You manage Runtime Runtime Runtime Runtime Managed by vendor Middleware Middleware Middleware Middleware Managed by vendorYou manage O/S O/S O/S O/S Managed by vendor Virtualization Virtualization Virtualization Virtualization Servers Servers Servers Servers Storage Storage Storage Storage Networking Networking Networking Networking
5. Platform-as-a-Service PLATFORM TODAY PLATFORM-AS-A-SERVICE SERVER, VM, NETWORK, APPLICATION STORAGE, APP PATCH, SERVICE RELEASE, NEW MAINTAINED FOR YOU VERSION ASSEMBLY REQUIRED READY-MADE SERVICES CUSTOM, INCONSISTENT STANDARDIZED STATIC DEPLOYMENT FOR ON-DEMAND SCALE PEAK SCALE BUILT TO AVOID AND BUILT TO EXPECT AND RECOVER FROM FAILURE WITHSTAND FAILURE IT’S ALL ABOUT THE APPLICATION 5
6. The Windows Azure platform is an internet-scale cloud services platform, hosted in Microsoft data centers around the world, that provides a simple, reliable, and powerful platform for creating web applications and services.Compute Storage Management CDN Relational data Data Sync Connectivity Access control
7. SQL Azure CloudApplications Windows AzureWindows Azure AppFabric On-Premises Applications Windows Others
8. How can Azure Platform help?• Focus on just your project, not infrastructure & DC’s• Buy what you need when you need it• Put power in the hands of your most creative people - Developers• Enable business - without blowing your operational budget• Instantly have a GLOBAL presence• Can move from CAPEX to OPEX - rent rather than buy and warehouse
9. Workload Patterns Optimal For Cloud “On and Off “ “Growing Fast“ Compute Compute Inactivity Period Average Usage Average Usage Time TimeOn & off workloads (e.g. batch job) Successful services needs to grow/scaleOver provisioned capacity is wasted Keeping up w/ growth is big IT challengeTime to market can be cumbersome Complex lead time for deployment “Unpredictable Bursting“ “Predictable Bursting“Compute Compute Average Usage Average Usage Time TimeUnexpected/unplanned peak in demand Services with micro seasonality trendsSudden spike impacts performance Peaks due to periodic increased demandCan’t over provision for extreme cases IT complexity and wasted capacity
10. Microsoft,Hanu, and YOUA Three-Way Partnership ForCloud Adoption
11. Microsoft PartnershipHanu has partnered with Microsoft to help you adopt the Cloud platform.Why Hanu? Proven Azure Expertise Microsoft Gold Certified Partner + Preferred Azure SI Partner Pre-built, Reusable Cloud Accelerators to help you reduce development cost and improve time-to-market. Network of Microsoft Cloud Architects and Evangelists Founded 2002; Offices in Princeton, NJ and IndiaHanu is your Windows Azure authority. 13
12. What can Hanu do for you?• Cloud Awareness and Assessment Workshops – Help you understand how you can use Windows Azure. – Identify applications and databases for Cloud migration. – Help you analyze cost benefits of moving to the cloud. – Develop a migration strategy and Cloud roadmap.• Architecture Design Sessions (ADS) – Help you validate your cloud technology approach and accelerate your technical decisions. – Ensure Business and Technical Requirements are aligned. – Discuss the main architecture benefit and risks.• Develop Azure PoC• Build new Cloud based applications• Migrate existing applications to the Cloud 14
13. Hanu Azure Accelerator Methodology • Project identification & execution • Best practices • Test & get • Migration roadmap & customer planning feedback *Possible Microsoft Funding 15
14. Faster Windows Azure AdoptionThe Hanu Azure Accelerator methodology enables ISVs to rapidly transitiontheir applications to Azure by quickly and easily dealing with the challenges of:• Understanding the cost & complexity (Assessments, Envisioning, Sizing Workshops)• Building in innovation to maximize the cloud model (Architecture Design Service)• Sourcing qualified expertise (certified developers)• Increasing capacity for transitioning to Azure while continuing current projects (on/off shore resources)• Managing the cost of development, testing and training (Project Management)• Managing risk through phased deployment (POC)
15. Extended Development Center • Microsoft certified developers • Proven expertise on Azure, .NET, SQL Server, Silverlight• Transparent & Collaborative Project Management• 4 Tier Communication Structure with • Best practices • Windows Azure, SQL Daily, Weekly, • Agile methodology Azure Monthly & • Manual & automated • .NET, Silverlight, WPF Quarterly testing • SQL Server Meetings • Sharepoint • Cloud Accelerators • Automation tools • Reusable architecture 17
16. For Clients Adopting AzureInnovative Differentiation• Our experience enables you to design a flexible, sustainable cloud based applications architecture.• We apply best practices through our proven methodologies.• We enable you to envision, plan, build and deploy more innovative applications faster.• Our development expertise enables you to differentiate with more innovative functionality.• Our broad exposure to diverse projects enables you to innovate with new technologies.Business Model• Pay only for the resources needed for any length of time.• You can scale up and scale down resources rapidly as needed.• You can maximizes development capacity while minimizing costs.• No project delays or additional costs due to searching and recruiting in-house staff.• We help to reduce risk of delays and missteps in projects.
17. Success Stories• Migration of a .NET application to Windows Azure for a CA based eDiscovery company in four months timeframe• New Application Development using Windows and SQL Azure for creating a reference architecture tool for a fortune 500 client [Sponsored by Microsoft] 19
19. Next Steps LEARN MORE AT OUR WEBSITE:1 www.HanuSoftware.com LET US ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR CLOUD ADOPTION:2 Ed Nerz – Ed@HanuSofwtare.com - (609) 945-0820 Anil Singh – ASingh@HanuSoftware.com - (609) 514-5112 VISIT THE MICROSOFT WINDOWS AZURE WEBSITE:3 www.microsoft.com/windowsazure 21