14th May 2008
Why are we here?
• Marketeers: Driving sales & attendance
• But… it seems to be getting harder.
– Time poor / wide spread of leisure activities
available to us / travel is relatively cheap /
– Changing socio-economic behaviours
• Technology has impacted our world!
– Change is needed, but actually, we’re confused!
Diminishing digital divide?
• Connectivity and kit
– 87.6% UK homes have digital TVs
– 300m smartphones in the world,
– Nokia making an entry level handset,
– Malawi building IT infrastructure for smartphones
– In a few years time,
mobile devices will hold 10TB data (10,000 GB)
National Theatre: new models of
bringing together art & audiences
“Technology is in the
right place now. The
software design is there,
more and more people
have broadband with
moving pictures and
delivery is free.”
“It's more enjoyable to be
in the swim than chasing
Nick Starr,Chief Exec.
Continuous partial attention?
• Change in how attention span is conceived
– Blackberrying in Broadway!
– Content conglomerators
“By equipping visitors with the means to
capture their own impressions and learnings
from the museum to share with others, we
turn visitors into a global teaching force that
will act as advocates for the museum for
generations to come.”
Dr Nancy Proctor, Antenna Audio
• Conversation starters
... working with
Guidebooks, Maps, Posters, Signposts
e.g. see a map
of the visitor
e.g. pre-install, download
or buy an audiotour
Click on the UpCode CONSULTING
• Story caching
• “Make me move” - make me be there?
• Audience as co-programmer
– Eventful, thepoint,
Transparency: Tyranny or Triumph?
quot;Old economy fog is
clearing: no longer can
global standards, anti-
social & anti-eco behavior,
or opaque pricing be
obscured. In its place has
come a transparent, fully
where producers have no
excuse left to
New tools and distribution
channels… what does it mean for
• Photo phones
• Video phones
• Skype recording
So driving sales and attendance?
• See sales and attendance in a different - “Long Tail”
– Repurpose live content for digital distribution - NY
– Create new digital content for sale to other
distributors - Tate Media
– Consider all your archives and product - NT print
on demand & Philharmonia
– Ticket trading & affiliate sales - NAYT
– Sell the exclusive experience - packages
– Get the social networks working for you!
And of course, on your website…
• More of what you’ve always done!
– State preferences
– Feedback and Surveys
– RSS feeds and calendar feeds
– Audio and video clips - with the embed code
– Background details and images
– Programme details
– Archive of past events
– FAQs and forums
– Links to YouTube; MySpace; FaceBook; Bebo; Flickr
– Let people digg / share / del.ici.ous / email your content
– Learn from your stats - where are people entering your site? Link:yoururl
From push to pull to porosity…
• Expect to have profound discussions!
• Expect to change!
• THANKS for listening!
Stay in touch!