Android™ Technology and Career Opportunities
in Android™ Work Market
What Is Android™ Technology?
● Android™ is a computing platform designed primarily
for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones
and tablet computers.
● A computing platform includes an operating system
● The operating system is based on Linux®.
● Android™ is maintained and continually developed by
the Android Open Source Project (AOSP).
● Android™ is owned by Google, Inc.
History of Android™
● Google purchased Android Inc., a 22-month-old Palo Alto,
California, startup in July 2005.
● The purchase was key in Google's move into the wireless
● Android was unveiled in 2007 along with the founding of
the Open Handset Alliance: a consortium of hardware,
software, and telecommunication companies devoted to
advancing open standards for mobile devices.
● In October 2008, Google introduced the HTC Dream™ as
the first marketed phone to use Android™ technology.
● Android™ is not just about device, it is (very
mobile & personal) media.
● As device, not just about smartphone/tablet:
– Control system: Android Open Accessory
– Wearable technology