THE INTERLACE, Singapore
• Green Spaces
• Site plan
• Public spaces
• Block levels
• Service Cores
• Typical floor plans
• Site Section
• Location- The Interlace is located on an
elevated eight-hectare (80000 Sq.m) site.
• Bounded by Road, Expressway surrounded
by the Southern Ridges of Singapore.
• Designed by- Ole Scheeren, partner of the
Office for Metropolitan Architecture.
• Total floor area -170,000 Sq.m
• 31 apartment blocks, each six storey's tall
with 8 main courtyards.
• Basement parking- 2,600 cars
• Apartments- 1,040 (144,000 Sq.m)
(Sizes vary 75Sq.m - 600Sq.m)
• Clubhouses- 1,500 Sq.m
• Retail- 500Sq.m
I. New residential typology which
breaks away from the clusters of
II. Horizontally connected volumes
establishing a better connected and
less isolated residential
iv. The idea of community life is emphasized through an extensive networks of gardens.
v. The interlocking blocks form a vertical village with cascading sky gardens and both
private and public roof terraces.
vi. While multi-story openings allow light and air to weave into and through the landscape.
Through stacking the apartments, the design generates a multiplication of horizontal
surfaces populated by extensive roof gardens and landscaped terraces that offer more
green space than the size of the unbuilt site.
1. Main entrance , 2. Guard house , 3.Pedestrian main gate , 4. Pedestrian side gate , 5. Drop-off ,
6.Retail plaza , 7.Play zone . , 8.Outdoor exercise station ,9.BBQ promenade , 10.Jogging track ,
11.Gardening zone , 12.Pet zone , 13.Party pavilion ,14.Tennis court , 15.Multi-purpuse court,
16.Club house (1st story ).
A. Central square .
B. Water park .
C. Play hills.
D. Spa valley.
E. Theatre plaza.
F. Bamboo garden.
G. Lotus pond.
H. Waterfall terrace.
DENSE URBAN RESIDENTIAL LIVING DIDN'T HAVE TO OCCUR IN AN ISOLATING SKYSCRAPER
Pedestrian movement Vehicles movement
(The primary route leading the residents
from the main entrance to the courtyards)
(Leading to the
basement for parking)
• Above-ground vehicular
circulation is minimized,
liberating large green
• Basement parking- 2,600
• Open air voids in the
plinth allow light and air
to the semi sunken and
The communal spaces have been located in such a way that it gets shades from the shadow of the blocks.
Eight main courtyards containing water bodies, club houses, central square & Gym.
PUBLIC AND CENTRAL SPACES
Strategic position of
Water Bodies (reduce
local air temp & improves
the thermal comfort)
11 blocks (1-6 floor) 10 blocks (7-12 floor)
3 blocks (19-24 floor)7 blocks (13-18 floor)
1 Elevator + 1 Stair
2 Elevator + 1 Stair
2 Elevator + 2 Stairs
06 storey 06-18 storey 18-24 storey
TYPE DESCRIPTION UNIT AREA
TYPE A 2 BEDROOM 49 807-1,346
TYPE B 3 BEDROOM 122 1,259-2,142
TYPE C 3
TYPE D 4 BEDROOM 72 2,045-5,694
2 Elevator + 1 Stair
Vents on the ground level
Different levels of bocks
• Though the design generates diff horizontal arrangements of blocks instead of a
skyscraper but it is only possible when the site is large enough.
• No intersection of pedestrian movement by vehicular movement.
• More incorporation of social spaces.
• More of green area than the built up area, thus making it a part of the ecology.
• All types of units are mixed.
• The spatial arrangements of the different blocks provide different states of sun and
shadow, with large water bodies provided for influencing the microclimate in the
recreational spaces between the towers, improving the overall quality of comfort and