Certification Renewal and Reciprocity
- All certified educators must seek renewal every five years.
All certified educators must have the following:
- hold a valid Standard Certification;
- successfully complete a criminal history review;
- not be in default on a student loan or in arrears of child support;
- complete 30 CPE clock hours;
- pay the appropriate renewal fee
What activities count toward the required CPE clock hours?
- workshops, conferences, and in-service or staff development delivered by an registered provider;
- undergraduate and graduate coursework
- interactive distance learning, video conferencing or on-line activity
- independent study, not to exceed 20% of CPE hours
- Development of curriculum or CPE training materials;
- presenting CPE activities, not to exceed 10% of required hours;
- serving as a mentor, not to exceed 30% of hours;
- serving as an assessor for the principal, not to exceed 10% of CPE
When may an educator begin the renewal process?
- Six months prior to the expiration date of the standard certificate
How do I apply?
- SBEC website (www.sbec.state.tx.us)
- Follow link “online Services for Educators” to apply.