Anorexic people think
they are fat, even
when they are not.
They don’t eat
Symptoms of anorexia
• Someone with anorexia might:
• become very thin, frail, or emaciated
• be obsessed with eating, food, and weight control
• weigh herself or himself repeatedly
• deliberately "water load" when going to see a health professional to get
• count or portion food carefully
• only eat certain foods, avoiding foods like dairy, meat, wheat, etc. (of
course, lots of people who are allergic to a particular food or are
vegetarians avoid certain foods)
• exercise excessively
• feel fat
• withdraw from social activities, especially meals and celebrations involving
• be depressed, lethargic (lacking in energy), and feel cold a lot
People with bulimia may be a normal weight, but
they binge and purge. They may make themselves
Symptoms of bulimia
• fear weight gain
• be unhappy with body size, shape, and weight
• make excuses to go to the bathroom immediately after
• only eat diet or low-fat foods (except during binges)
• regularly buy laxatives, diuretics, or enemas
• spend most of his or her time working out or trying to
work off calories
• withdraw from social activities, especially meals and
celebrations involving food
• What is it called when someone is very thin because
they don’t want to eat?
• What is it called when people vomit to try to control
• What kind of chart can we use to know how much we
• What is it called when people eat A LOT at one time?
• What is it called when people lose their hair?
• What is cosmetic surgery?
• What is a corset for?
• What is a healthy body fat percentage for a woman?
Talk with a partner
• What do you think a beautiful looks like? Is she
thin? White? Athletic?
• Do you know someone who has a body image
problem, or an eating disorder? What is their
• How do you think the media effects our body
• What are some healthy ways we can improve our
• Do you think you want to have cosmetic surgery?
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.