What are silicate and non-silicate minerals? Silicate and non-silicate minerals are the two most common types of classific...
Silicate MineralsMinerals that contain silicon and oxygen are silicateminerals!!!Silicate minerals make up 90% of the eart...
Common Types of Silicate MineralsQuartz- BasicBuilding blockof many rocks
Common Types of Silicate MineralsFeldspar – Maincomponent ofmost rocks onearth’s surface
Common Types of Silicate MineralsMica – Micamineralsseparate intosheets easilywhen theybreak
Non-Silicate MineralsMinerals that do not contain oxygen or siliconare non-silicate minerals!!!Some of these minerals are ...
Important Classes of Non-Silicate MineralsNative Elements –            GoldMinerals made upof only oneelement. Sometypes o...
Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals  Carbonates – Minerals      Fireworks  that contain oxygen  and carbon in their...
Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals  Halides – Halides are        Detergent  compounds that  form when  sodium, cal...
Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals  Oxides –                   Paint  Compounds  that form when  an element  forms...
Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals  Sulfates – Minerals         Toothpaste  that contain oxygen  and sulfur. Sulfa...
Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals  Sulfides – Minerals         Batteries  that contain one or  more elements  com...
Thank you for listening tomy presentation!
Haiway's silicate and non silicate mineral presentation
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Haiway's silicate and non silicate mineral presentation

3,738 views
3,349 views

Published on

Presentaion~

Published in: Technology, Business
0 Comments
1 Like
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
3,738
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
3
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
72
Comments
0
Likes
1
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Haiway's silicate and non silicate mineral presentation

  1. 1. What are silicate and non-silicate minerals? Silicate and non-silicate minerals are the two most common types of classification of minerals based on chemical composition!!!
  2. 2. Silicate MineralsMinerals that contain silicon and oxygen are silicateminerals!!!Silicate minerals make up 90% of the earth’s crust!!!The other 10% are non-silicate minerals!!!Silicon and oxygen usually combine with otherelements such as iron, aluminum, magnesium, andpotassium to make up silicate minerals!!!
  3. 3. Common Types of Silicate MineralsQuartz- BasicBuilding blockof many rocks
  4. 4. Common Types of Silicate MineralsFeldspar – Maincomponent ofmost rocks onearth’s surface
  5. 5. Common Types of Silicate MineralsMica – Micamineralsseparate intosheets easilywhen theybreak
  6. 6. Non-Silicate MineralsMinerals that do not contain oxygen or siliconare non-silicate minerals!!!Some of these minerals are made up ofelements like carbon, oxygen, fluorine, andsulfur!!!
  7. 7. Important Classes of Non-Silicate MineralsNative Elements – GoldMinerals made upof only oneelement. Sometypes of nativeelements arecopper, gold, andsilver. Nativeelements are usedin things likecommunicationsand electronicsequipment.
  8. 8. Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals Carbonates – Minerals Fireworks that contain oxygen and carbon in their composition. We use carbonates for building stones, cement, and fireworks.
  9. 9. Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals Halides – Halides are Detergent compounds that form when sodium, calcium, an d potassium combine with fluorine, iodine, brom ine, and chlorine. Halides are used in detergents and in the chemical industry.
  10. 10. Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals Oxides – Paint Compounds that form when an element forms chemically with oxygen. Oxides are used to make abrasives, paint, and airplane parts.
  11. 11. Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals Sulfates – Minerals Toothpaste that contain oxygen and sulfur. Sulfates are used in things like paint, cement, tooth paste, and cosmetics.
  12. 12. Important Classes of Non-Silicate Minerals Sulfides – Minerals Batteries that contain one or more elements combined with sulfur. Sulfide is used in things like batteries, electronic parts, and medicines.
  13. 13. Thank you for listening tomy presentation!

×