An ILS usually comprises a relational database, software to interact with that database, and two graphical user interfaces (one for patrons, one for staff). Most ILSes separate software functions into discrete programs called modules, each of them integrated with a unified interface. Examples of modules might include:acquisitions (ordering, receiving, and invoicing materials)cataloging (classifying and indexing materials)circulation (lending materials to patrons and receiving them back)serials (tracking magazine and newspaper holdings)the OPAC (public interface for users)Each patron and item has a unique ID in the database that allows the ILS to track its activity.
open source software may be free, a developer or distributor may charge for services, including special programming, installation, training, and technical support.
LIBRARY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
• A library management system, also known as an
automated library system is software that has been
developed to handle basic housekeeping functions
of a library.
•Operating or capable of operating independently
of a computer system.
•Library purchases one module only to perform
one specific function. For example, a library may
buy just the circulation module and perform other
tasks using different software.
•CDS/ISIS, LIMS, MLIMS, LAMP
• An integrated systems is an enterprise resource
planning system for a library, used to track items
owned, orders made, bills paid, and patrons who
VTLS, Libsuite, New Genlib, Libsys
• Open source
• September 2, 2007 — librarytech LiBSUITE supports
various operations of a Library like Cataloguing,
Circulation, Serial Control, Budgeting, and OPAC
(Online Public Access Catalogue). It supports digital
library functionalities with multimedia file
attachments etc. It works with various backends like
Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase and is also available
with MS ACESS for smaller databases.
• Soft-AID Computers (Pvt.) Ltd.
• URL : www.libsuite.com
• An ILS
• Developed by Verus Solutions Pvt Ltd.
• Kesavan Institute of Information and Knowledge
Management in Hyderabad, India.
• Version 1.0 was released in March 2005.
• On 9 January 2008, NewGenLib was declared
Open Source Software under GNU GPL.[
• version 3.0.4 R1 released on 13 Sep. 2012
• Many libraries across the globe using NewGenLib
• Library management systems across India
• LIBSYS, a New Delhi based software company, is
engaged in providing software solutions since
• offers solutions
Library automation system
Digital Resource Management System etc
A library with an integrated library system
A Local Area
OPEN SOURCE (OS)?
The term “open source” refers to software
that is free and that includes the original
source code used to create it so that users
can modify it to make it work better for them.
developers who take personal pride. Simple
use it and is not locked any single person
OS SOFTWARE COMPARISON
• Ability to tailor to
fit local needs
• No restriction on
• Low cost
• Lack of coordination
• Inadequate technical
OS ILS PRODUCTS
Avanti - MicroLCS,
Full featured free ILS.
Developed initially in New Zealand by Katipo
Communications with Horowhenua Library
Currently maintained by a dedicated team of
software providers and library technology staff
That by adopting it, the customer becomes
"joint owner " of the product.
Why OS Software Koha?
Proven, Stable Technologies
Who uses Koha?
• More than 300 libraries are using Koha,
• Including Academic, Public, School and
– Africa, Australia, Canada, USA, France, India, New Zealand
Northland Bible Baptist
Childcare Resource and
Research Unit – University of
West Liberty Public Library
Nelsonville Public Library
System (7 library branches
Horowhenua Library Trust
Asian School of
Open Source in Pak Libraries
Free SW CDS-ISIS: provided the foundation to library automation in Pakistan
Zebra Server: Out of 520 only 15 libraries are using Zebra Server.
Koha ILS: Exploration Initiated
UMT, further Explored NRSP, joined IIU and PakLAG.
PakLAG KOHA: Six Languages Virtual Key Boards, Urdu Marc Export facility,
Printing of multilingual spines, book card, membership cards, catalog cards etc.
PakLAG among Pay-for support Companies. First in south Asia
PakLAG Koha: Adopted by
Allama Iqbal Open University Islamabad
HITEC University Wah Cantt.
Health Services Academy Islamabad.
University of Lahore
Bannu Medical College, K.Pk
• Full featured modern ILS
• Award winning and free/Open-source
Software.(no license fee).
(Not for Profit. Innovation Use of IT Computer world Excellence Awards)
• OS independent any operating system. Linux,
• Web based. Web-based Interfaces
• Full MARC21 and UNIMARC support for
• Multilingual and multi-user support
• Library-Standards-Compliant. industrial
standards & protocols.
• Z39.50 server.
• Customizable web based Circulation system.
• Online reservation.
• Full catalogue, circulation, acquisitions, library
• Web based OPAC
• Major Industry-standard database type (Text,
RDBMS), SQL, MYSQL.
• Serial management module.
• Print your barcode.
• Export and import records, ISO2709
Koha System Architecture:
A web browser on the workstation
Functions on PCs running Windows, PCs
running Linux, Macs, or even UNIX workstations.
Runs over any TCP-IP network.
Strict to International Standards.
Industry standards: Z39.50, ISO2709
Library standards: UNIMARC, MARC21
Technical Standards: the OPAC is "valid
XHTML", and respects the standards of
Web Standards: recommended by the World
Wide Web Consortium.
• Koha version 3.10.1. Free (download from
• Apache web server, free (download from
• MySQL. Relational Database Management
System (http://www.mysql.com) free
• Perl modules 5.8.(http://www.cpan.org). free.
• Linux (RHEL 3.0, 4.0, 5.0) or Any flavour of
LINUX or WINDOWS Server
5. Serial Management
6. Patron Management
7. Branch management
9. Authorities Control
KOHA BACK-UP SOFTWARE
• SSH-tunneled MySQL replication.
• Database dumps using the MySQL dump utility
• On the hardware level, the production system
utilizes a two-disk RAID 1 configuration for data
redundancy in the event of single-disk hardware
failure. The system partitions use the Reiserfs
journaling file system which provides another
point of data redundancy