Need to replace your lost Green Card


Published on

The U.S. law requires that you always carry your green card if you are a permanent resident card holder but if you lost it, it's important that you replace it immediately by applying for a green card replacement.

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total Views
On Slideshare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Need to replace your lost Green Card

  1. 1. Need to replace your lost or outdated Green Card?A Green Card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card, is one of the most importantproofs for an immigrant that verifies their status as a permanent resident. It is also serves avalid form of identification that allows one to live and work in the United States. Althoughsome of the older issued Green Cards have no expiration dates, the newer PermanentResident Cards (Form I-551) are valid for 10 years. If you have been granted conditionalpermanent residency, the card is valid for 2 years. Due to its importance as a form of ID for apermanent resident, it is important that you keep your Green Card up-to-date. Becauseremember, without a valid Green Card, your ability to travel outside the United Sates, or evenwork here, is compromised.Well, how do you know if you need to replace your Green Card?Most importantly, youneed to replace your Green Card if your card is about to expire. Thisdoes not apply to you if you are a conditional permanent resident whose green card is aboutto expire, but more on that later;If your Green Card has been lost, stolen, or damaged, then you need to replace it as soon aspossible. If it was stolen or lost, it is important to notify the USCIS and local police as soon ascan because this is a government issued form of identification that in the wrong hands, willmake your life difficult since it is a form of ID theft;If personal information has legally changed, such as a name due to marriage or divorce, thenyou need to replace your current Green Card. If your Green Card has incorrect informationbecause of an administrative error made by the USCIS, you still need to replace it but youshould not be charged a fee since it was not your fault, as long as you provide proof that itwas not your error;You need to replace your Green Card if you became a permanent resident before you turned14 years old. You are required by law to replace your card when you become 14 years old;If you have an older version of a Green Card, such as USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103 orForm I-151, which has no expiration date, it is to your advantage to replace it was the newerGreen Card version, Form I-551;Finally, you need to replace your Green Card, if you never received a previously issued onefrom the USCIS. Again, in this situation, you need to report this as soon as possible to theUSCIS and your local police department.How do you go about replacing your Green Card?If you need to replace your Green Card for any of the reasons listed above, you can do so byfiling a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.If you are outside the U.S. and your Green Card was stolen, lost or damaged,then contact thenearest U.S. consulate, USCIS office or port of entry before attempting to file a Form I-90.Once your Form I-90 application is approved, you will be mailed a replacement green card
  2. 2. with a 10-year expiration date from the date it is issued.Now, if yourif you are a conditional resident and your status is about to expire, DO NOT fileForm I-90. If you are a permanent resident who was granted conditional permanent residentstatus, you are required to file a petition to remove those conditions within 90 days of yourcard expiring by filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. If yourconditional status was based on a marriage, you must also file Form I-751.Remember, your Green Card is an important form of identification, issued by the UnitedStates government that legally proves your permanent residency status. Therefore, it is toyour advantage to keep it current so that you can avoid the hassles that come with letting itsstatus lapse.About the is a company that provide assistance for any immigration issues. Thosewho want to process their Green card, green card renewal, Form I90, Family Based Green Cardapplication easy and fast online.