• Save
3 Elements of Successful Project Management
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

3 Elements of Successful Project Management

on

  • 1,339 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
1,339
Views on SlideShare
1,318
Embed Views
21

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0

2 Embeds 21

http://www.linkedin.com 19
https://www.linkedin.com 2

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    3 Elements of Successful Project Management 3 Elements of Successful Project Management Presentation Transcript

    • Team, Documentation & Communication The «Happy Meal» of Project Management GregoryZelfond.com
    • Cool FactsBetween 50% and 75% of projects finish behind scheduleOver 70% of projects are over budget • The Sydney Opera House cost 15 times more than was originally projected • The Concorde supersonic airplane cost 12 times more than predicted • Bostons "Big Dig" tunnel project was 275% ($11 billion) over budget 90% of Your job will be Communication The other 10% - Documentation Source: Google, Wikipedia GregoryZelfond.com
    • What is Project Management? GregoryZelfond.com
    • 3 Components of Project Management• Team• Documentation• Communication GregoryZelfond.com
    • Team• Having right Project Team is crucial• Real world Project Teams are like dysfunctional families• Don’t assume people will like you• Respect and be respected• Exercise your Authority• Escalate when necessary GregoryZelfond.com
    • Documentation • Agenda’s • Meeting Minutes • Status Reports • Presentations • Manuals • User Guide’s • Specifications GregoryZelfond.com
    • Communication • Communicate often • Lack of communication is why projects fail • Any news is news (good or bad) • Be upfront about project • Never lie on a project • Never blame your team members GregoryZelfond.com
    • Types of Communication• Meetings• Emails• Conference Calls• Intranet sites• Video Conferencing• Face to Face• Informal Drop-Bys GregoryZelfond.com
    • Benefits of Face-to-Face meetings• Attention focus over optimal period of time• Body language can be interpreted in face- to-face• Feeling of community/social bond• People are more likely to participate• Build trust for long term relationships• Fun of sharing - people learn better in groups GregoryZelfond.com
    • Project management is art, not science• Doesn’t matter how technical you are• You need to be exceptional communicator• Ability to lead and influence without direct authority• Your team doesn’t care about PM terms – Don’t use jargon (i.e. WBS, contingency, mitigation, critical path) – Speak in plain EnglishSource: gantthead.com GregoryZelfond.com
    • Meeting Etiquette• Never schedule meetings > than 1 hour in length• $50/hour X 10 people X 4 meetings = $2,000/day• 30 min is enough GregoryZelfond.com
    • Communication Plan• Helps set expectations among team members• Explains how things will be communicated – Why – What – How• Who is responsible for what• One of the first documents that should be created by Project Manager GregoryZelfond.com
    • Communication Plan ExampleSource: Google Images GregoryZelfond.com
    • Communication, PMI Take• Be a communications expeditor – initiate relationships• Avoid communication blockers, i.e. negative response that kill or inhibit innovative ideas (Lets’ be realistic)• Use a tight matrix – collocation of project team is best communication for team• Have a project WAR ROOM – room exclusively for use of one project• Make meetings effective – Only call a meeting when there is a real need – Make the purpose of the meeting very clear – Prepare an agenda – Issue minutes – Follow up on all tasks and action items Source: PMBOK, 3rd Edition GregoryZelfond.com
    • Communication with Upper Management• Tell them only what they need to hear• Don’t bore them with details• They need to see your confidence• Be ready to answer questions GregoryZelfond.com
    • Lessons Learned• It is a 2-way street• 3 Questions – What worked well? – What did not work well? – What should we do better next time? GregoryZelfond.com
    • Tips from Greg• Becoming Project Manager will take time• Becoming good Project Manager will take even more time• Ideal Project Manager is… – Referee – Psychologist – Conductor GregoryZelfond.com
    • Q&A GregoryZelfond.com