1. Mobile web design : Part IBeyond guidelines: Advanced accessibility techniquesWhen creating accessible websites, most web developers and web managers tend to follow the W3Caccessibility guidelines. And rightly so - they are the most comprehensive accessibility resource on theInternet after all.The W3C accessibility guidelines, or Web Content Accessibility Guidelines as theyre officially known,could go slightly further however. Fulfilling the guidelines will give you a very accessible website(remember though, they are just guidelines so shouldnt always be taken literally). For ultimateaccessibility though, try implementing some of these techniques too:Hidden textHidden text can be very useful for screen reader users. If there isnt sufficient text for these users to gainan understanding of a particular section, then you can simply create this extra information and hide itfrom sighted users.The most common and useful page items to insert invisible text for screen reader users include:- Headings - Every single section on each page should have a heading placed immediately before it. Thisway, screen reader users always know that the preceding section has finished and a new section hasbegun. So, before the main navigation begins, you should insert a heading labelled, Site navigation.Although this heading is extremely useful for screen reader users, it may look rather unsightly visually,so you can just make the text invisible.- Form labels - Every form item must have a label immediately preceding it - otherwise, screen readerusers wont know what the form item is about. Date of birth fields, with three separate fields for date,month and year, are common culprits of not providing form labels for each form field. So, place the dateof birth label before the three form fields, and then insert an invisible label before each of the other twoform fields, Month of birth and Year of birth.
2. - Skip links - A skip link is an invisible link thats placed at the very top of the HTML file. Its a relative linkwithin the page, allowing users to jump straight to a section on the page, usually the main content. Skiplinks are really useful for both screen reader and keyboard-only users who can jump straight to thecontent, without having to work through the navigation.Succinct, front-loaded and conventional link textAs a method of browsing through a page, screen reader users can call up a list of links on a page andjump to the link in which theyre most interested. Its common knowledge that link text should makesense out of context, and this is indeed a W3C guideline. Link text such as Click here would obviouslymake no sense in a list like this. Its also crucial that link text is:- Succinct - so that its quick and easy for screen reader users to work through this list- Front-loaded - so that screen users can understand the meaning of the link straightaway and jumpdown to the next one if theyre not interested- Conventional - so screen reader users can alphabetise the list and jump to the link theyre looking for(e.g. if the Contact us link was labelled as Enquiries it would be harder to find the websites phonenumber)Link text is additionally important for users that finds it difficult to read online, such as screen magnifierusers and those with learning difficulties and dyslexia. For these users when they scan through webpages, theyll often be unable to make out specific words - instead, theyll see shapes and colours.Anything thats in a high contrast colour is obviously a link, so they can stop and read it.By making link text succinct and front-loaded, and using conventional link text, its far easier for usersthat finds it difficult to read online to immediately comprehend links and what their destination is.Visible font resizer
3. Its crucial that text is resizable for web users with poor or limited vision - or so the theory goes. In actualfact, user testing has shown time and time again that few web users actually know how to resize text, orthat this functionality even exists.By providing a visible font resizer all users are of course made aware that they can resize the text shouldthey need to. To find out how to put a font resizer on to your website, read this article about stylesheetswitching at http://www.alistapart.com/stories/alternate.(Incidentally, if you dont know how to resize text simply select View > Text size in either InternetExplorer or Firefox; alternatively, scroll with the wheel of your mouse whilst holding down the controlkey.)Place instructions firstIf you provide instructions for any kind of functionality on your site, make sure that the instructions areplaced before the functionality. This of course sounds obvious, but its amazing how many times this ruleisnt adhered to.Screen reader users listen to pages in the order that theyre written in, so if any instructions come afterwhat theyre relating to then thats obviously going to be too late.Placing instructions first is also crucial for screen magnifier users. Screen magnifier users can only see asmall section of the screen at any one time, so if instructions are placed in an out-of-the-way placetheyll likely be overlooked.Web forms are perhaps the most common type of functionality to contain instructions. Do be sure thatany instructions are placed above the form and not below it. Mis-placed instructions usually includeexplaining which fields are required and error messages.
4. Large headingsHeadings are crucial for all users to find what theyre looking for quickly and efficiently. They arehowever particularly useful for any user that finds it difficult to read online, such as screen magnifierusers and those with learning difficulties and dyslexia.When these users scan through web pages, theyll often be unable to pick up words and instead will seeshapes and colours. By using a large font size for headings, these users will easily be able to spot theseimportant headings.Focus state for linksKeyboard-only web users can navigate through web pages by tabbing from link to link (and form item toform item). It can however sometimes be difficult to know exactly where you are on the page whenrelying on the tabbing method. By assigning a background colour to the focus state of each link, itbecomes much easier for these users to orientate themselves on the page.Large link targetMany web users with dexterity problems will use only the keyboard to browse through a website. Somewill still continue to use a mouse but with rather limited control, so wherever possible do try increasethe area of the link target. This is of course not possible for regular links, but for vertical basednavigation lists its easy to extend the clickable area to the full width of the column by assigning thestyle, display: block to each link.Conclusion
5. The W3C accessibility guidelines are of course important, but if you want your website to be trulyaccessible then theres more that you can do. Following the advice in this article is of course a greatstart!Hiring a web designer to come up with the custom solution that you need can set you back a fewthousand bucks. But you can do the whole thing yourself and make it drag and drop simple for merepennies with a tool like Breezy Websites. See http://breezywebsites.com for details!Mobile web design : End of Part IBlogging for Profit Begins With a Long Term PlanMany people dream of blogging for profit, and this goalis not far beyond the reach of someone with averageintelligence, a willingness to work hard, and a basicgrasp of blogging technology. However, very fewpeople manage to reap the profits they want from theirblog. Most people who attempt to make money withtheir blogs do not succeed for two reasons. Often,bloggers have unrealistic expectations of how fast theirreadership will grow and how much money they willmake, and when these expectations are not met thedisappointment can crush the desire to continueblogging. The other trap that many bloggers fall intohas to do with lack of planning. If you want to turn aprofit as a blogger, the key to success is to make a
6. realistic plan and stick with it.To succeed at blogging for profit, the main thing thatyou will need is a large readership. The higher yourtraffic, the more advertisers will agree to pay you.However, cultivating the regular visitors that you willneed in order to make a profit isnt easy. As more andmore blogs appear each day, having a great idea or awonderful writing style is no longer enough to getattention. You need to be able to market your blogeffectively.Too many bloggers spend all of their time writing postsand almost no time marketing their project. To becertain, updating as often as you can is a great way tokeep your blog high on blogrolls and high in blogsearch engines like technorati, and once your readersknow that you update frequently they will return to yoursite on a regular basis. However, it does not matter howoften you update if nobody is reading your page, so dontskimp on the time that you spend drawing visitors toyour site. To make your dreams of blogging for profit areality, try decreasing your number of posts and usingsome of that time to draw new visitors by setting uplink exchanges with other bloggers, making contacts in
7. the blog community, and following other establishedmodes of winning traffic.Of course, even if you are a marketing genius or have areally great idea for a blog, success is not going tohappen overnight. Building the kind of readership thatblogging for profit requires takes time, and in alllikelihood it will be at least several months before youare able to turn much of a profit. Try to stay committedto your blogging project during this initial rough period.To stay motivated, set goals for how often you willupdate and how many readers you want to attract, andthen reward yourself for sticking with your plan.Hiring a web designer to come up with the custom solution that you need can set you back a fewthousand bucks. But you can do the whole thing yourself and make it drag and drop simple for merepennies with a tool like Breezy Websites. See http://breezywebsites.com for details!Mobile web design : End of Part IIBlossom Your Site with Web Design DelhiIn web designing service provides different color combination to attract people.Visualization is any technique for creating images, diagrams, or animations to communicate a message.Visualization through visual imagery has been an effective way to communicate both abstract andconcrete ideas since the dawn of man. As internet is a visual and psychological medium so colorcombination is very important in <a href="http://www.e-fuzion.com">Web Design Delhi</a> companye-Fuzion, on the internet we dont deal with face to face selling. The interpretation of words, images,
8. and diagram on your website has by far the greatest impact on your visitor and thus becomes the mostcommunication and sales tool.Another important factor in web designing is color combination. The background color of your website,the color of your header, the color of your text, headlines and sub-headlines etc. can all have apsychological impact on your visitors. Some of the common colors are given below that can invokeemotion in people. <a href="http://www.e-fuzion.com">Web Design Delhi</a> company e-Fuzion hasbecome aware of the fact that overloading a website with images, irrelevant text or colors, is ineffectiveand unnecessary. Using web design themes that offer calming, informative, query solving designs are indemand. Basic colors or fonts are making a comeback. In addition, web designers use blank space inappropriate areas in order to place a focus on a particular topic, and allow a viewer to absorb thecontent without being bombarded by too much information. Have become aware of the fact thatoverloading a website with images, irrelevant text or colors, is ineffective and unnecessary. Using webdesign themes that offer calming, informative, query solving designs are in demand. Basic colors or fontsare making a comeback. In addition, web designers use blank space in appropriate areas in order toplace a focus on a particular topic, and allow a viewer to absorb the content without being bombardedby too much information.<a href="http://www.e-fuzion.com">Web Design Delhi</a> company e-Fuzion provides differentcolorful designs, which create a special stage among other web sites.Hiring a web designer to come up with the custom solution that you need can set you back a fewthousand bucks. But you can do the whole thing yourself and make it drag and drop simple for merepennies with a tool like Breezy Websites. See http://breezywebsites.com for details!Mobile web design : End of Part III