2. firstname.lastname@example.orgMrTIB Biology SL II (Block 7) @IBiologyStephen i-Biology.net is.gd/IBiologyFacebookIntro Chemistry (Block 6)Intro Physics/ Environmental Science (Block 3)Office Hours: Blocks 1, 2, 4, 5 & 8 in N410“A good head and good heart are always a formidablecombination. But when you add to that a literate tongueor pen, then you have something very special.” Nelson Mandela
3. Rule #1:Make Good Decisions Should we need any more?
4. Make Good Decisions• All our resources are on GoogleSites: is.gd/ChemTaylor• We will use Quia a lot for formative, content-checking work.• All tasks are reported in PowerSchool.• Powerschool tasks have dates, which you can subscribe to in iCal.• Most work will be collected on Turnitin.com or through blogposts.• Use APA for referencing in ALL tasks.• My due dates are almost always 9pm. You need to get to bed.• We use a lot of class time for assignments. Make good use of it.• If you miss class, come as soon as possible to catch up.• I’m always available to help.• Be responsible and safe on social media. Protect your online reputation.• Treat yourself, our working environment and others with respect.• Work safely. Always ask if you are unsure.
5. Quick Lab Orientation Where is/are the…? Telephone? Fire extinguisher? Fire blanket? Goggles? Eye-wash station?
6. Safety Rules1. Listen to & read all instructions carefully. Act on them.2. Be a role model for others. Don’t mess around.3. Wear goggles at all times in lab work.4. Never eat or chew gum in class.5. Do not come or work in here without supervision.6. Wash your hands regularly.7. Be careful.8. Report all accidents immediately. Do not try to clean up broken glass.9. Always ask if you are unsure about a task or instruction.10.Dispose of all chemicals and used materials carefully.
7. Work Mode Use only the apps required for the task at hand.Work efficiently inclass, so that yourown time is your own! We’ll use them sometimes… We will use technology a lot in our class, including laptops, dataloggers and smartphones. Please come charged and prepared.Laptops Closed Give your full attention to the task, teacher or your group.
9. Assessment All summative assessments must be submitted. Late work falls under the 5-day policy.Summary of summative assessment tasks: used to make a ‘best fit’ for reporting.As well as summative assessed tasks, we will complete a number of formative tasks to aidlearning. These are essential, yet are your opportunity to learn from your mistakes.These include Quia quizzes, class discussions & problems. All graded tasks – both summativeand formative – are entered in Powerschool and are used in Learning Attitudes assessment.
11. The Language of ChemistryAdapted from the IBDP Chemistry data booklet
12. Our first mission: Science Show! Hi Grade 9 Chemistry Students, Our KA and BBP students are investigating water and its changes, properties and uses. They would love for you to show them some fun demonstrations of how water changes from a solid to a liquid to a gas. We need the demonstration to last 20 minutes and be repeated—the more colorful and dramatic, the better! Do you think you can help? Many Thanks, Mrs. Born and Mrs. WhiteCanadian Academy inspires students to inquire,reflect and choose to compassionatelyimpact the world throughout their lives.
13. “States of Matter” Science Show & Blog Post Hi Grade 9 Chemistry Students,Goal: Learn about properties of water and prepare some fun demonstrations Our KA and BBP students are investigating waterRole: Science show performers and its changes, properties and uses. They would love for you to show them some fun demonstrationsAudience: Students aged 3-5 of how water changes from a solid to a liquid to a gas.Scenario: You are responsible for informing We need the demonstration to last 20 minutes and younger students about water! be repeated—the more colorful and dramatic, theProduct: A demonstration of 3 minutes, with explanation, better! Do you think you can help? that can be repeated. Many Thanks,Criteria: F - Attitudes in Science for the show, B – Communication in Science for the show and the blog post. Mrs. Born and Mrs. White Group 1 Group 2 Group 3 Group 4 Group 5 Jacky Nyeong-Min Ryota Madeleine Helen Justin O Kelsey Avi Preetpal Saifullah Justin T Paula Young-Jae Choryon Lucas Joesh Tamanna Andy
14. “States of Matter” Science Show & Blog Post Group 1 Group 2 Group 3 Group 4 Group 5 Jacky Nyeong-Min Ryota Madeleine Helen Justin O Kelsey Avi Preetpal Saifullah Justin T Paula Young-Jae Choryon Lucas Joesh Tamanna Andy Some ideas: • why does boiling water ‘bubble’? Today: • why does the mirror ‘steam up’? • Pick a topic, research and plan the • cloud in a bottle demonstration. • ice-cube melting race & blue ice cubes • Practice if you can. • heating copper sulphate • sublimation Tomorrow: • Practice and perfect GoogleDoc: http://goo.gl/QJYso Friday: present
15. “States of Matter” Science Show & Blog Post
16. “States of Matter” Science Show & Blog Post
17. Some really useful apps…
18. i-Nigma QR Code Readerhttp://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/i-nigma-qr-code-data-matrix/id388923203?mt=8 Why do I like it? Quick and easy QR Code reader. Use with QuikQR.com to set up activities. iPhone Here’s an example (http://wp.me/p7lr1-1kB): iTouch iPad 19 Images taken from the iTunes app store for each app or screenshots from my own iPhone
19. Socrative Student Clickerhttp://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/student-clicker-socrative/id477618130?mt=8 Why do I like it? One-click to join the room and take part in class formative assessment tasks, such as quizzes, surveys and space races. Saves you from opening iPhone the site with your browser. iTouch iPad 20 Images taken from the iTunes app store for each app or screenshots from my own iPhone
20. DailyCalcs Science Calculatorhttp://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dailycalcs-science-calculator/id353223512?mt=8 Why do I like it? Very handy lab calculator for making up solutions in Chemistry. Can also be used in cell cultures. iPhone iTouch iPad 21 Images taken from the iTunes app store for each app or screenshots from my own iPhone
21. Lab Timerhttp://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/labtimer/id292202454?mt=8 Why do I like it? Very handy lab timer, which can run four timers with alarms at the same iPhone time. Great if you have your experiments staggered and need to remember when to record the results for each one. iTouch I think the iPad version can show more timers at the same time. iPad 22 Images taken from the iTunes app store for each app or screenshots from my own iPhone
22. iElementshttp://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ielements-periodic-table-chemical/id413632149?mt=8 Why do I like it? A simple periodic table app which gives more information iPhone about each element. Just enough information to easily navigate our HS Chem class. iTouch iPad 23 Images taken from the iTunes app store for each app or screenshots from my own iPhone
23. Next Lesson:Be ready to work! Homework: Sleep well and eat healthily.