• >12y in the online business @ Microsoft Advertising
• Brand Strategy Lead for the European markets
• Digital enthusiast, 24/7 surrounded by technology
• Proud father of 3 Generation G kids
Who are you & why are you here?
Why are you here?
What are your expectations?
Table of content
Setting the Scene
Gaming for dummies
Generation G: your future customers
“The average young person in a country with a strong
gaming culture will have spent 10.000 hours playing
online games by the age of 21”
Why is Gaming so important for Gen G
Urgent optimism: gamers always believe an epic win is
2. Keeping a tight, social fabric > we’ll have a better
connection after playing a game together, even if we loose
– value the same goal > stronger social relationships
3. Blissful productivity: we’re happier working hard
4. Epic meaning: aspiring mission, human planetarian scale
Time it took to get to 1M users
Males 15-34 yrs average 12
hours per week gaming &
Console usage is similar
To TV usage
Average Audience (000)
Game Console Usage
Video Game Average Audience (000)
Avg. hours gaming
Launch of Halo 4 - 2012
“Halo 4” Collects $220 Million In Global Sales In The First 24 Hours Over
Record Sales (…) The “Halo” saga eclipses the biggest movie launch in U.S.
box office history; on track to reach over $300 million in global sales in the
Launch of GTA - 2013
“GTA 5 made a
staggering $800m on its
first day, beating Call of
Duty: Black Ops 2, which
earned $500m upon its
Games everywhere, for everyone
Worldwide 30,000,000 mobile apps are
downloaded each day
Games are the #1 downloaded
category of apps, making up 26% of all
mobile app downloads
Sources: www.livingthebrand.com, www.interbrand.com, www.brandchannel.com
Games everywhere, for everyone
"Angry Birds Star
Wars(…) Just 2,5
hours after its
Birds Star Wars"
rose to the No. 1
“We invest 3 billion hours weekly
playing games online.”
Exercise: Time to play
• Who has a smartphone?
• Who has brought his tablet?
• Who has his laptop?
Take it out of your bag, give it to your neighbour and
show them your favourite game
Tell them why you like it
What is Gamification?
“Is the use of game mechanics and game design
techniques in non-game contexts.”
“The process of game-thinking and game mechanics
to engage users and solve problems”
What Gamification is not
“Particularly in the early days, as the term was gaining
traction, it was a common misconception that simply
making a branded game was ‘gamification’. This is NOT
what gamification is about. There are some similarities
that could be drawn but the main difference is that
branded games are about exposure and CTR where as
adding gamification to a product is more about increasing
engagement and loyalty.”
Gamification is hot
“An estimated 70 percent of the top 2,000 public
companies in the world will have at least one gamified
application by 2014 (…) the worldwide market will grow
from $242 million in 2012 to $2.8 billion in 2016, with
enterprise gamification eclipsing consumer
gamification in 2013”
Autodesk: Gamified Trial
• 54% increase in trial
• 15% increase in buy
clicks, and a
• 29% increase in channel
revenue per trial start
Autodesk case: learnings
1. Decide who your audience
2. Identify the type of behavior you want to drive from that
3. Look at the experience from the player’s perspective.
4. Pace your content by breaking into sections to keep
gamers engaged and to easily keep track of goals or
trophies earned throughout the trial.
5. Have some fun and outline any Easter egg achievements
you’re going to give away
6. Find the right technology to fit your story
STEP 2: increased engagement
• 135% Increase in referral
traffic from Facebook
• 300% Increase in revenue
• 600% Increase in images &
videos upload to social
Gamification & Social Media
• Make it fun & engaging
• Bring people back, possibly multiple times a day
• Gamified Social experience > Fans become brand
Moosejaw: real-time pricing
“In less than 15 minutes, they sold over
five hundred $10 Moosejaw gift cards.
Consumers then took those $10 gift cards
and, on average, made purchases of $66,
a 560% return on investment.”
Extraco Bank: boost conversions
technique to help ease
the pain of the news
that free checking was
going to go away for
Think about your digital assets? Where could you
apply a gamified experience?
split up in groups & come up with an idea
• What is the reason for gamifying your product or service?
• How does it benefit users?
• Will they enjoy it?
• What are your business goals?
• How do you get users to fulfill those business goals?
• What actions do you want users to take?
Do we need to gamify digital
Absolutely as it can
- Drive user engagement & satisfaction,
- Create loyalty
- Increases revenue
- Boost social sharing
“Gamers tend to be more motivated
than non-gamers to be connected to
others, and they display a higher than
average propensity to interact with
brands on social networks…”
Adam Kleinberg for Mashable