THE HISTORY BEHIND THE ILIAD
1600 BC – 1100 BC
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
Aims : Introduce the Mycenaean world and the history of Homer.
1. Discuss the significance of a variety of bronze age finds.
2. Watch the DVD and answer the questions.
3. Demonstrate the Cornell note taking system.
4. Practice note taking whilst watching the video.
THE MYCENAEAN WORLD
• What deductions about the Mycenaean world can you make from the
• The mask of
• Found by Heinrich
Schliemann in 1876.
• Dated to 1500 BC
• Linear B
• Mycenaean Writing – an early Greek script.
• Used for bureaucracy rather than literature. So far…
• Mycenaean armour
• From around 1500
• The Lion gate
• Home of
WATCH THE DVD (30 MINS) AND ANSWER THE
• What is the political system of Bronze age Greece?
• Who is Agamemnon’s companion and where does he live?
• Why is this location archaeologically significant?
• Take notes using the Cornell note taking system.
A SUMMARY OF THE MYCENAEAN WORLD
• Bronze age Greece from 1600 B.C. – 1100 B.C.
• The age of Heroes and palace based kingdoms. Mycenae, Pylos, Tiyrns.
• The historical setting of the Iliad and Odyssey.
• The historicity of the Iliad is hotly debated.
• Probably the source of myths like the Minotaur at Knossos.
• The world collapsed in about 1100 B.C. – shortly after the Iliad.