Transcript of "Friendsters At Work: Displaying Social Media Streams in the Workplace"
Friendsters at Work:
Displaying Social Media Streams
in the Workplace
Nokia Research Center, Palo Alto
Large computer displays that can sense & respond
to the people and activities taking place in their vicinity.
Bridging the gaps between people
by bridging the gaps between the online and offline worlds
Next Generation Proactive Displays
• Goal: increase the sense of community in the workplace
• Method: open physical windows in shared spaces into the social media co-
workers are creating
• Situated Social Software
• Adding a physical dimension of audience will promote greater social media
• Social media sharing in the workplace will enhance personal relationships
• Enhanced personal relationships will lead to more productive professional
• Privacy / benefit tradeoff (usability vs. security)
• Sustainable engagement (after novelty factor has worn off)
• How to measure the impact? (measuring community, relationships)
• Bridging gaps in the workplace
• Knowledge management via serendipity
• Nameless faces / faceless names
• Acquaintanceships relationships
• New channel for employee recognition
• Increase familiarity with Social Media
• Co-create / mashup
• Appropriate social media sites (“safe for work”)?
• Measurement: how to measure “community”?
• Related work?
• Connection points:
• Proposed tag for conference / workshop: cct2007
• Made possible by
• Jian Bian, Ben Congleton & Max Harper (interns)
• Context, Content & Community (C3) team
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.