3. WHY GO VEGETARIAN? 3 REASONS. THE ENVIRONMENT . WORLD HUNGER . YOUR HEALTH .
4. first things first…
5. first things first… this is not a guilt trip . animals eat animals, sure .
6. but by eating meat a few days less each week , you can help a lot .
7. reason 1 ENVIRONMENT
8. Producing 1lb of wheat uses about 25 gallons of water but growing enough grain to feed 1 animal uses 2000-8500 gallons of water just for 1lb of meat.
9. Producing meat takes amounts of energy HUGE that a 100-watt bulb uses in 10 days 1lb of beef requires the same amount of energy
10. approximately 90% of all plant and animal species on Earth are found in the rainforests . roughly 80% of annual deforestation is associated with animal agriculture . According to the World Rainforest Report In Central America, 40% of all the rainforests have been cleared or burned down in the last 40 years,mostly for cattle pasture to feed the export market often for U.S. beef burgers . a vegetarian diet requires 1 / 7 the amount of land as a meat-inclusive diet .
11. reason 2 WORLD HUNGER
12. There is more than enough food in the world to feed the entire human population . So why are more than 840 million people still going hungry ? *
13. 1 acre of pasture can produce about 165 pounds of beef that same 1 acre can produce 20,000 pounds of potatoes.
14. if Americans ate less meat by only 10% , 12 million tons more of grain could feed humans instead .
15. 60 million people who would otherwise starve to death each year would have enough to eat.
16. reason 3 HEALTH
17. The American Dietetic Association states that… ‘vegetarians have lower rates of death from heart disease, lower blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer’
18. Other advantages of vegetarianism include weight control. Vegetarians tend to be lighter than those who include meat in their diet… and are less likely to be obese. Vegetarian diets naturally low in saturated fat and high in fiber
19. FLEXITARIAN a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasional consumption of meat LACTO-OVO VEGETARIAN no consumption beef, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish or any other animal, but diet includes eggs and dairy products VEGAN no meat consumption of any kind no consumption of eggs, dairy products, or other animal-derived ingredients such as gelatin
20. SO WHY GO VEGETARIAN ? THE ENVIRONMENT ? WORLD HUNGER ? YOUR HEALTH ? WHY NOT ?
21. you don’t have to give up eating meat altogether… but why not just one day each week ?
22. you don’t have to give up eating meat altogether… but why not just one day each week? Think global, act local .