What is WorldCat? Background Information
- It’s the world's largest bibliographic database.
- Built and maintained by the Online Computer Library Center, otherwise called OCLC.
- WorldCat maintains a collection of over 50,000 libraries, in over ninety countries.
- WorldCat was created in 1971 through OCLC’s global cooperative.
- WorldCat is the world's largest network of library content and services.
WorldCat Home Page How to search WorldCat @ worldcat.org
WorldCat Basically means World Catalog
What can I find on WorldCat?
- Article citations with links to full text.
- Authoritative research material such as:
- - photographs of local historical significance - digital versions of rare items - resources are available in several languages
- Popular books, music CDs, Videos.
Special features on WorldCat?
- Search many library catalogs at once.
- Links of published reviews and excerpts.
- Locate resources in a library near you.
- Link to “Ask a Librarian” & “Find similar items”
- You can post your reviews and contribute to factual information on an item.
- As a Howard student you are allowed to use WorldCat.
- You will log in with a valid library membership card.
How can I borrow from WorldCat?
- WorldCat allows you to find an item and then locate a library near you that owns it.
- If you find an item of interest and Howard
- owns it, use normal procedures to get it.
If Howard does not have item, these are the available options for Howard students
- Have the item shipped to you
- Have it delivered to you __________
- To use WorldCat, you must have active
- Membership with a cooperating library.
Search by: title / subject / person
- Quiet as it’s kept, shame trauma and race in the novels of Toni Morrison.
Discuss the Results Page
- Talk about the book record
- We notice that Howard owns the book
- Talk about other features on the page __________
- Get it…search Sterling or buy from Amazon
- save it…things I own, I recommend, things
- add to it… You could review an item, or add/ edit some public notes.
- share it... Using a list of social networking interfaces e.g.
- Favorite, Digg, Facebook, Live, Furl, Ask,
- Google, RDeddit, Yahoo MyWeb, myAOL,
- Propeller, Blogmarks, FeedMeLinks,
- Talk about the list of libraries near where you live that own the book.
- Show how the mileage changes from near to far.
- Explain how it changes from local, national to international.
- Languages - German, Spanish, French Netherlands Japanese
- Sign in accounts - MyWorldCat, My Lists, Sign In, Register
- WorldCat Help!!! This page features everything you every thing you would want to know about World Cat but were afraid to ask.
Help !!!! Every Question can be answered
Hands on Keyword search
- Adoption and race and America
- Adoption and race and United States
- Multiracial adoption and United States
- Interracial adoption and United States
- Transracial adoption and United States
- Look up these key words and compare
Hands On Subject Heading searching
- Interracial adoption - United States - Moral and ethical aspects
- Open adoption – United States – Case studies
- Adoption – Law and legislation – United States
Hands on person search
- On the WorldCat home page
- click on: Advanced search
Advance Search page
- Discuss the Advance search page