4. Here is a better look of the Earth’s structure with its Lithosphere and Asthenosphere
5. What is the Lithosphere and Asthenosphere <ul><li>Lithosphere- the thin outer shell of the Earth consisting of the Crust and the upper Mantle </li></ul><ul><li>Asthenosphere- the zone of the Mantle beneath the Lithosphere that consists of slowly flowing solid rock. </li></ul>
6. The Problem in the Interior!!!
7. Crust Mantle Outer Core Inner Core As you can see the Earth’s core has shifted 200 miles towards India.
8. Other Things Wrong With the Earth Earthquakes Volcanoes Tsunamis
9. Plate Tectonics
10. What is Plate Tectonics? <ul><li>The theory that the Earth’s surface is made up of large moving plates. </li></ul>
11. Pangea the “all land” 200000000 years ago
12. The earth 100000000 years ago
13. The earth 20 million years ago
14. The earth today
15. The earth 50 million years in the future
16. Plate Boundaries
18. Plate Boundaries
19. Two plates move apart from each other Plate Boundaries Two plates moving towards into each other and build up. Two plates slide against each other.
23. <ul><li>Below is a graph of the rock ages for the map on top. </li></ul> Below is a graph of the rock ages for the map on top.
26. Mid ocean ridge
31. What is a Fault? A crack in Earth created when rocks on either of a break move.
36. <ul><li>Epicenter- the point on Earth’s surface directly above the focus of an earthquake </li></ul><ul><li>Focus- the area along a fault at which a slippage first occurs initiating an earthquake </li></ul>
37. P waves- fastest waves, they are called push and pull waves, they travel through liquids and solids
38. S waves- wave that a slower than primary waves , they are called side to side waves, and they move like a snake, they only travel through a solid
39. Surface waves- slowest waves, called up and down waves, and they only travel on the surface
45. Spreading center
46. There are three different types of Volcanoes
47. Cinder Cone Volcano
48. Compositive Volcano Competitive Volcanoes are built out of layers of cinders, ash and lava
49. Shield volcano Volcanoes built out of lava are called sloping mountain or Shield Volcano