Transcript of "Natasha Media Production Evaluation"
As Media Production
In what ways does your media product use, develop
or challenge forms and conventions of real media
• For my magazine I decided to follow the normal conventions
of a music magazine. The title at the top, picture in the middle
and the cover lines at the side.
• In the production for my front cover I researched many
existing music magazines and found that they all followed the
normal conventions, I also found that the colours; red, black,
grey, white and blue were the mainstream ones used.
• For my front page I used all these conventions:
Colours; red, black, white, blue and grey
Picture in centre
Masthead at the top
Cover lines the side
Selling line at the top
Main headline in the middle
Date, price, barcode at the bottom
How does your media product represent particular social groups?
• My music magazine represents late teenagers to
early 20s, this social group usually listen to music in
the charts. In my magazine I have included all
mainstream genres as this is what is in the charts.
• I didn’t want to use male dominated or female
dominated colours as my music magazine is aimed
at both male and female. Also the image I used is in
black to ensure that it does not appeal to males less
than females or vice versa.
• The title relates to this social group as they tend to
go to festivals and live gigs in this age range, so live
is suited to them.
• The colours represent the magazine as fun, trendy
• The language used is well written but not so much
so that it wont appeal to this age group.
• My magazine is for lower and middle class, as it is a
reasonable price but probably not to the tastes of the
What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
• My music magazine is a mainstream magazine so I think that it
would be published by publishers such as; Bauer, NatMags, How much do they pay
• This is because it follows normal conventions and appeals to a
wide audience profile, these are the publishers of the music
for the music magazines?
magazines I researched and got ideas from, also because the
price of the magazines is what my audience said they would
pay when I did questionnaires. Having fitted my magazine 10
around my audience publishers would be interested in
publishing it. 5
• My music magazine would be distributed in all stores that sell 0 Series1
mainstream magazines; such as co-op, WHSmith and Tesco.
Who would be the audience for your media product?
• I aimed my music magazine at age 16-21, both male and female, lower and middle class.
• I showed my double page to my classmates ad they said it was too aimed at females so I changed this in order
for it to still appeal to both females and males.
• Aiming this magazine at both genders has allowed my magazine to branch further into different genres.
How did you attract/address your audience?
• The language, imagery and style I used was designed to appeal to the age range of my audience audience.
• In my questionnaire I found that my audience liked tour dates best in a music magazine and adverts the least.
With this information I added three pages of tour dates and only a couple of adverts to the flat pack design.
• I also made sure that the front cover displayed everything relevant to my target audience; bands/artists and
• On my cover I used a selling line in order to attract my audience even more.
• I also made sure there was an equal balance of attractiveness to males and females.
What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
• When I used my digital camera to take the
photos I learnt how to take good shots and
• On photoshop I learnt how to crop, change
background colour, adjust lighting and adjust
Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the
progression from it to the full product?
• For my school magazine I used photoshop but I was not very creative with this task and my front page was a bit
bland and boring.
• I learnt new things on the camera, photoshop and publisher throughout this production.
• In comparison to my school magazine, my music magazine was better developed by way of photos, photo editing,
layout, fonts and new skills learnt.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.