View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Solving Rational Equations
This topic was covered in grade ten, and we will
continue with it.
To solve a rational equation:
1. Factor all of the polynomials in the equation.
2. State any nonpermissible values.(values of x that will
cause any of the denominators to = 0)
3. Cancel any of the factors that you can in the fractions
4. Multiply both sides of the equation by the LCD of all
of the fractions.
• This is done to cancel out the denominators in all of
5. Once you have removed the fractions denominators,
use equation solving strategies for linear equations
or quadratics to solve for the unknown value.
6. Check your solutions against the nonpermissible
values that you stated earlier.