Microsoft Power Point Dublin Saa S Event Cloud Computing
Pol Mac Aonghusa
CTO, Emerging Technology Incubation
IBM Saas & Cloud Computing Event, Dublin
Cloud Computing for a Smarter Planet
May 20th, 2009
What is Cloud Computing?
It is an user experience and a business model
Cloud computing is an emerging style of IT delivery in which applications,
data, and IT resources are rapidly provisioned and provided as standardized
offerings to users over the web in a flexible pricing model.
It is an infrastructure management methodology
Cloud computing is a way of managing large numbers of highly virtualized resources
such that from a management perspective, they resemble a single large resource.
This can then be used to deliver services, with elastic scaling.
Monitor & Manage Infrastructure Access
Services & Resources Services
Service Catalog, Component Vendors/
Component Software Publishers
Administrator Publish & Update
Standard approaches are begining to emerge
Service Request & IT Infrastructure & Service
Operations Application Services Provider Creation & Deployment
Datacenter & Services Provider Infrastructure Planning
End Users Service Catalog,
Service Management Service
Standards Based Interfaces Configuration
Service Oriented Architecture Information Architecture UI, Fulfillment,
Service Catalog Standards Based Interfaces
Virtual Resources & Aggregations Service
Consoles Server Virt. Storage Virt. Network Virt. Monitoring
Standards Based Interfaces Tools
System Resources Virtualized Infrastructure
SMP Servers Blades Storage Servers Storage Network Hardware
Enablement Challenges for SW Vendors
• Application Enablement
- Which multi-tenant architecture – virtualize, platform or full application?
- Execution & Data (isolation and sharing) Off-Premises
- Tenant-aware security, monitoring, reporting and management
- Customization and user personalization within a tenant
- Development (tools and metadata)
- Service automation … On- and off-boarding, .....
- Version control
• Cloud Integration & Enablement
- Fine-grained usage tracking, metrics and costing
- Advanced scalability, performance and availability
- Integration/composition with other public / private resources
- Which programming model!
Shift to pricing based on usage, workload, users,
transactions – package as a 'Supply Chain' of Services
IBM in leadership in Cloud Computing delivery is
helping our partners and clients today
DUBLIN, IRELAND and ARMONK, N.Y, March 19, 2008 quot;IBM's European hub for Cloud Computing
highlights Ireland’s role as an important
'Today IBM (NYSE: IBM) and the Industrial contributor to IBM's global research,
Development Agency of Ireland (IDA Ireland) development and innovation strategy.”
announced the establishment of Europe’s first Cloud
– Micheál Martin TD, Minister for Enterprise, Trade
Computing Center.' and Employment
“This new facility and the cloud computing
model, the wealth of talent at IBM's software
Worldwide Cloud delivery infrastructure lab in Ireland will be accessible to not only
the rest of Europe, but Africa and the Middle
Deep skills and resources East as well.quot;
Research on next generation of
– Steve Mills, Senior Vice President and Group
Web 2.0 workloads Executive, IBM Software Group.
Rapid deployment of collaboration and
Cloud computing is a disruptive change to the way IT services are
Without a strategy, Cloud computing can be a threat
– IT services delivered over the Internet
– Perceived cost gap between a cloud service and traditional IT
With a strategy, Cloud computing is a huge opportunity
– Lower cost of delivery for some workloads
– More responsive IT
– Ability to optimize delivery to traditional, private cloud, public
– Greater visibility in billing / chargeback to LOBs
IBM can help!
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.