Code No: CE052391
III B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
( Common to Civil Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering,
Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science &
Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science & Systems
Engineering, Electronics & Telematics, Metallurgy & Material Technology,
Electronics & Computer Engineering, Production Engineering and
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) De ne “Environmental Studies”?
(b) Explain the components and scope of Environmental studies. [4+12]
2. Explain how agricultural practices and industrial growth have led to undesirable
changes in the environment. 
3. Write brie y about the following types of ecosystems. Bring out the unique char-
acteristics, threats and also the action needed to overcome threats:
(a) Marine ecosystem
(b) Desert ecosystem
(c) Grasslands. 
4. Discuss the aesthetic value of nature with respect to the following statements.
(a) A true wilderness experience is an incredible learning experience.
(b) The beauty of nature encompasses every aspect of the living and non-living
part of our earth. [8+8]
5. (a) Oceans are ultimate sink for most of the waste we produce. Explain.
(b) List o shore sources of Marine Pollution.
(c) Explain the e ects of oil pollution on the ocean. [8+4+4]
6. (a) De ne watershed management and explain its ob jectives.
(b) Discuss various water conservation techniques that can be practiced by indi-
7. (a) Though population growth shows a global decline, there is still cause for worry.
(b) What are the reasons for di erences in the rate of population growth in various
1 of 2
Code No: CE052391
8. What are the problems encountered in the disposal of solid waste from various
sources. Describe the outcome of poor management of solid waste, illustrating
your answer with any case-study. 
2 of 2