View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Job Title: Humanitarian Programmes & Communications Assistant Ref: no HPCA-HUB-0509
Location: Oxfam Novib Regional Office Nairobi
Reports to: Field Representative, Humanitarian Planning (HUB)
Job Type: National
Purpose of the Job:
Reporting to the Field Representative, Humanitarian planning, Humanitarian Programme & Communications Assistant
(HPCA) provides general program and communications support to the Oxfam Novib Somalia Humanitarian Unit (The
HUB). S/He collects and assists in the dissemination of information to relevant stakeholders. H/she liaises with the HUB
team to ensure that there is an effective mechanism in place to get information from the partners on a regular basis and in
such a manner as to enrich Programmes, communication and policy work.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
• Contribute to the design and Implementation of an effective information flow mechanism between the programme
team and partners and which advances the Oxfam Novib/OI Humanitarian strategies (Programmes, media and
• On a regular basis, follow up/ summarize OI humanitarian programme information for the purpose of
highlighting it to serve communication, media and policy objectives.
• Assist the Policy and media leads to source and or draft policy and media briefs respectively.
• Review of project briefs and program related documents for quick reference and information package for Oxfam
Novib Senior officers, project managers, consultants, Oxfam Novib Humanitarian program related visitors and
• Update programme briefs and follow up of case studies and project photos for fundraising and other purposes as
required by Oxfam Novib and Oxfam international, etc.
• Maintain efficient coordination and provide needed information to the Support departments (Administration and
Finance) on needed logistics, hotel & flight bookings, procurement s etc.
• Upload approved/signed off information onto the OI dashboard and other websites also ensure that relevant
information is downloaded from the OI dashboard and shared with the HUB team and other relevant
• Prepare notes/minutes of media, policy and programme meeting (internal and external) as will be required.
• Keep track of key websites, prepare and share regular media briefings as shall be agreed with the media and
Information officer I (lead)
• Assist the Field Rep humanitarian programs, The Media lead, the policy advisor, the Regional programme Manager
and the Project officers with collecting, editing, summarizing information/documents as shall be agreed with line
• Offer management support to Program/project officers on identified areas e.g. documentation, communication,
hard and soft copy filing, Project Implementation reports (PIRs) etc.
• Assist in filing of general Humanitarian program and policy documents for easy accessibility and institutional
• Carry out any relevant duties as may be assigned by line manager
Internal: With HUB Program unit, Project Officers, and Oxfam Novib Nairobi office administration and finance units
for better coordination and implementation.
External: With partners, Oxfam Novib visitors, consultants and peer NGOs.
2Job Profile- Humanitarian Programme & Communications Assistant – HUB Somalia 1
Version: Final draft March 2009
Bachelor of Arts degree (or equivalent) in Social sciences, Development studies, Communications or related fields.
At least two years experience in Humanitarian communications or media related fields. Experience in editing and
summarizing reports is needed. Previous work within an NGO setting is a plus. Good knowledge of Somalia and or
similar context is a plus. Very good Computer skills in word processing and other IT functions is a must.
• Good interpersonal skills and multi cultural work competencies
• Flexibility and adoptability to a fast moving work context
• Good oral and written communication skills (English)
• Good coordinating and planning skills
• Able to work with limited supervision
• Personal initiative
2Job Profile- Humanitarian Programme & Communications Assistant – HUB Somalia 2
Version: Final draft March 2009