About The Council

237 views

Published on

Overview of the Metropolitan Council's role and responsibilities

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
237
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
2
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • I’m pleased to be with you today to spend a few minutes talking about the Metropolitan Council and what we do. We’re a large agency with significant powers, but we’re not that visible or well known. Our Chair, Peter Bell, often jokes that 95% of the people don’t know what we do and the other 5% goes to bed at night worrying about our every move.
  • About The Council

    1. 1. Council member District
    2. 2. Created by the Legislature in 1967 to: <ul><li>Plan for the orderly growth of the seven-county area </li></ul><ul><li>Coordinate services that any one city or county could not effectively provide </li></ul>
    3. 3. Problems that confronted our region <ul><li>Inadequate sewers </li></ul><ul><li>Deteriorating bus system </li></ul><ul><li>Rapid growth </li></ul><ul><li>Fragmented government </li></ul>
    4. 4. Council structure and powers <ul><li>16 members represent geographic districts; Chair serves at large </li></ul><ul><li>Plan for future growth </li></ul><ul><li>Coordinate delivery of regional services </li></ul>
    5. 6. 1994 merger added responsibility for operating: <ul><li>Region’s largest transit system </li></ul><ul><li>Metro Mobility for people with disabilities </li></ul><ul><li>Wastewater treatment system </li></ul>
    6. 7. Metro Transit <ul><li>Region’s first LRT line </li></ul><ul><li>900 buses; 113 routes </li></ul><ul><li>270,000 riders per weekday </li></ul>
    7. 8. Metro Mobility <ul><li>Dial-a-ride service for people with disabilities </li></ul><ul><li>4,300 rides per weekday </li></ul>
    8. 9. Wastewater system <ul><li>7 treatment plants </li></ul><ul><li>600 miles of regional sewers </li></ul><ul><li>Serving more than 100 communities </li></ul>
    9. 10. Regional park system <ul><li>49 regional parks </li></ul><ul><li>29 regional trails </li></ul><ul><li>More than 33 million visitors </li></ul>
    10. 11. Metro HRA <ul><li>Serves nearly 100 suburban and rural communities </li></ul><ul><li>Provides federal housing assistance to 6,000 low-income families </li></ul>
    11. 12. 2009 budget expenditures $750.1M
    12. 13. 2009 budget revenue $737.6M
    13. 14. Regional planning process <ul><li>Regional Development Framework </li></ul><ul><li>Systems plans for transportation, aviation, water resources, and regional parks and open space </li></ul><ul><li>Local comprehensive plans </li></ul>
    14. 15. 2030 transportation plan <ul><li>Expand bus system </li></ul><ul><li>Add transit advantages </li></ul><ul><li>Develop network of bus and rail transitways </li></ul>
    15. 17. 2030 water resources plan <ul><li>Invest $3.7 billion to maintain, replace and expand wastewater treatment system </li></ul><ul><li>Support local efforts to ensure sufficient water supply </li></ul><ul><li>Promote efforts to reduce pollution from storm water runoff </li></ul>
    16. 18. 2030 regional parks plan <ul><li>Acquire land within 30 existing parks </li></ul><ul><li>Add 3 new parks, 7 new trails by 2030 </li></ul><ul><li>Plan for 4 more parks post-2030 </li></ul>
    17. 19. Regional parks plan
    18. 20. www. metrocouncil .org
    19. 21. Council Member … District …
    20. 22. Central Corridor LRT <ul><li>11 miles long, 15 stations </li></ul><ul><li>31 LRT vehicles </li></ul><ul><li>$915 million capital cost </li></ul><ul><li>Complete by 2014 </li></ul>
    21. 23. Central Corridor LRT

    ×