MAGRAY- A MARTIAL KASHMIRI TRIBE/CASTE/RACE
- 27,163 views
MAGRAY-THE WARRIORS & MARTIALS OF KASHMIR: ...
MAGRAY-THE WARRIORS & MARTIALS OF KASHMIR:
Magray is a Martial Kashmiri tribe of Rajput origin. Magray sprung from Kashtri - un-Nassal Rajput. Kashtri-un-Nassal Rajput are one of the four classes of Hindus. Kashtri were people of ruling class having responsibility for the defence of the state. Ladhay Magray was the forefather of Magray tribe. Magres accepted Islam at the hand of Syed Ali Hamdani in thirteenth Century. The first person who entered in Kashmir and settled their belonged to Magray tribe thus making Magray tribe, the founders of Kashmir. Magray tribe ruled over Kashmir for seven hundred years. They invited Mughals to enter Kashmir in order to end disturbances in the valley. However, subsequently Mughals were defeated and pushed back by the Magray tribe. Magray tribe is settled all over the world with majority in Kashmir Valley. In spite of being SARDARS of the time, people of Magray tribe felt proud to be called as MAGRAY.
VILLAGES & TOWNS IN KASHMIR NAMED MAGRAY:
1. Magray Village District Bagh
2. Magray City Kuttan, Neelum valley, Muzaffarabad
3. Magray Hills Kanchikot, Rawalakot
4. Magray Abad, Barmang Rawalakot
5. Magray Gali Lipa Valley, Muzaffarabad
6. Magray Abad Attmaqam, Kel road,Neelum Valley
7. Magray Village Motarin, khaigala, Rawalakot
8. Kharl Magrayan District Bagh
9 Sardari Magrayan Neelum Valley Muzaffarabad
10. Magray village Marchkot Abbaspur
11. Bandian Magray Abbaspur.
MEANINGS OF MAGRAY:
Magray is an ancient word, Magray means,"TheMartials", "The Warriors", "Military and war like people". Magray is also spelled as Magrey, Magre and Magri, but the correct spelling is Magray. The plural of Magray is Magres.
BOOKS ON MAGRAY TRIBE:
All the historical books on Kashmir contain material on Magray tribe and their role in the history of Kashmir. Few of the historical Books are mentioned here for reference.
1. Magray in the Eyes of History By Sajid Latif Magray.
2. Magray A Warrior Kashmiri Tribe By Capt Ghulam Hussain Magray
3. Valley of Kashmir by Sir Walter Lirance.
4. Imperial Gazettier of India By Govt of India.
5. Tribes and Castes of Kashmir By Muhammad Din Folk.
6. Castes and Tribes of Poonch by Muhammad Din Folk.
7. History of Kasmir By Khawaja Azamey.
8. History of Kashmir By Muhammad Hassan.
9. History Kabeer Kashmir by Haji M.Mohiudin.
10. Raj Tarangi By Pandit Kahlan.
11. Tareekh-e-Kashmir by Professor Nazir Ahmed Tashna.
12. Kashmir in the Era of Muslim empires By Ghulam Hassan Khoyami.
13. Tareekh-e- Malkan By Dr Sadiq Malik.
14. Jalwa-e-Kashmir By Dr Sabir Afaqi
15. Baharistan-e-Shahi A Chronocle Mediaeval of Kashmir.
16. Magray - The Martials and Warriors of Kashmir by Sajiad Latif Magray.
17. Tareekh-e-Kashmir,Islami By Dr Sabir Afaqi.
18. Tareekh-e-Azmi By M.Azam.
19. Tribal geography of India Jamu and Kashmir By M. Bashir Magray.
20. A New History of India and Pakistan By Quyyam Abdul.
1. MAGRAY VILLAGE MOTARIN, RAWALKOT : This is a village comprising of about 400 houses, exclusively of the Magray Tribe. Road leading from Rawalkot to Tatrinote crossing point passes from this village. Few personalities of the village are: -a. Muhammad Din Magray. b. Subedar Muhammad Latif Magray. c. Sajjad Latif Magray. d. Rasheed Magray. e. Yaqoob Magray. f. Manzoor Magray. g. Sadique Magray. h. Dilpazir Magray. i. Muhammad Aamir Magray. j. Bashir Magray. k. Qayyum Magray. l. Yaseen Magray. m. Imran Yaseen marga. n. Shafi Magray. Akram Magray. p. Rafique Magray. q. Sajjad Magray. r. Muhammad Javed Magray. s. Kabir Magray. t. Kamran Magray. u.Saqib Magray
2. MAGRAY HILLS KANCHIKOT: This is a big village which starts from the Magray Market on Ali Sajal Road and goes to the Tolipeer, a prominent Hill top of Kashmir. Few personalities of the Magray Hills are:- a. Haji Aqal Hussain Magray. b. Tariq Magray. c. Ghulam Nabi Magray. d. Gulzar Magray. e. Havildar Yaseen margay. f. Sub
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views