Fall 2009 Public Relation Practicum Top Ten List!!!<br />
10. As soon to be college graduates , we learned how to best prepare ourselves for getting a job once we graduate.<br />
9. During the course of our practicum class it was good to learn how important it is to stay abreast of skills in your field. A good way to do that is with graduate or portfolio school, trade publications and becoming members of organizations.<br />
8. During the course of the semester we focused on how important having a portfolio is and we created a portfolio and participated in a portfolio review. <br />
7. We were required to choose a trade book and do a review of it and present the review as well as a biography of the author. I choose Clay Shirky’s “Here Comes Everybody”.<br />Here Comes Everybodyby Clay Shirky<br />
Here comes everybody<br />6. I learned a lot from my review of the Clay Shirky book “Here Comes Everybody”. The most interested was learning about Wikipedia. The book told the story of Wikipedia and how large and accurate it is despite popular notions. I also enjoyed learning how impactful social media is when it comes to creating and maintaining interest and developing relationship on any particular subject. This was once something that had to go through the chain of commands but now whatever we deem important and newsworthy can be publish and spread with little to no cost and reach millions.<br />
5 This years practicum was a great way to learn about the best way to go about meeting new people in your desire field.<br />We were required to create a linked in account and contact professionals in our field…what a great help!<br />
4. Practicum for Fall 2009 gave us a wonderful opportunity to learn how to give a future employer an idea of who we were. We were encouraged to create business cards, portfolios and resumes. Learning that you can think outside of the box when creating your business card was a wonderful help.<br />
Resumes!!<br />3. Our focus Practicum Fall 2009 was on writing a quality resume and cover letter that would help us stand out! As a project, we had to find a job listing for a position we would love to have and write a resume and cover letter to coordinate with the posting, once that was done we were given feed back and instructions on how to format our resumes for our actual job search!<br />
2. Etiquette<br />Unfortunately etiquette is something many people overlook but it was a major theme in our class. Your first impression can be your last! We learned how to dress, act and speak in an interview, social networking, business meetings , corporate events and activities as well as at a business party! Very helpful!!<br />
NUMBER ONE!!!!!<br />1. The best thing we learned in Practicum was that we had the tools to conquer the world! We learned ways to contact future employees, mentors and friends in our field, we learned how to present ourselves in the best manner and we learned the best ways to showcase our work and summarize it in a portfolio and resume. We were able to make connections through LinkedIn and have our material reviewed so we could work on the feedback. What a treasure this class ended up being!<br />
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.