Anthony Alves & Cory Loran
(And the help of the Internet and a book)
• July 10, 1856 – January 7, 1943 – 86 years
• Born as a Serbian, later becoming a U.S.
citizen on July 30, 1891 at the age of 35
• Went to school at Higher Real
Gymnasium in Karlovac, finishing a four-year
term in three years
• Made a vow of celibacy for science basically.
So engaged to science I guess?
• Pigeon lover
• Has a SI unit named after him, also known as
the Tesla for measuring magnetic field.
• An electric car company, Tesla Motors, named their
company in tribute to Tesla.
• A monument to Tesla was established at Niagara Falls, New
• Tesla was featured on several Yugoslav- and Serbian
dinar notes and coins
• The largest power plant complex in Serbia, the TPP Nikola
Tesla, is also named after him.
• The heavy metal group Tesla was named after
Cory was there ---->
• Tesla Coil - a type of resonant transformer circuit
• Tesla Electric Car - Brushless AC electric motor
– Motor also invented by Nikola
– Speeds up to 90 Mph (September 16, 1967)
• Death Ray (Ray Gun) - theoretical particle
beam or electromagnetic weapon
• Wireless communication - transfer of information over a
distance without the use of enhanced electrical conductors,
• a type of resonant transformer circuit
• It is used to produce high voltage
• Tesla used these coils to conduct innovative
experiments in electrical lighting, x-rays,
electrotherapy, and Wireless energy transfer
Edison vs. Tesla
• Became rivals because the invention of
Tesla’s DC, Direct current, and Edison’s
AC, Alternating current
• Edison wanted to make people pay to use
AC rather than Tesla giving free DC.
• Edison wanted to prove that DC was
harmful so he shocked an innocent
elephant to prove that DC was dangerous.
• And of course people picked
Edison over Tesla.
What does AC stand for?
Not Air Conditioning
Who was Nikola’s rival?
What is the top speed of the Tesla