The Diel Group forms the hub of a network of internal and external resources from which we
assemble teams to execute approaches we tailor speciﬁcally to meet your needs
Members of our core team work with you to deﬁne and complete the engagement
Our core team is made up of highly-experienced industry and consulting veterans
We ﬁll a role similar to that of an independent ﬁlm producer – to qualify and deﬁne the opportunity,
assemble a team with the particular skills required, and oversee delivery
The Diel Group maintains a broad network of resources from which to build our teams and provides
the methodologies and tools required for the project
Like independent ﬁlm producers, we believe that this model better enables us to cost effectively
deliver the high-quality, tailored work demanded by our clients
Once the project is deﬁned, we draw upon our network to form the full project team
Partner/principal-level independent consultants
Managers and staff members drawn from your ﬁrm
A network of smaller professional services ﬁrms
Teams and individuals from selected large consulting
and professional services ﬁrms
Financial services software development ﬁrms with
on- and off-shore capabilities
Financial and compliance system and service vendors
Where appropriate, we also will support the recruiting and use of contract staff
The Diel Group remains responsible for the quality and timeliness of the team s work
Films were mass produced in large ﬁlm factories and exhibited in studio-owned theater chains… In contrast to the major studios, the
independent producers made hand-crafted quality ﬁlms. Independents understood that masterpieces were best made by individual artists,
not studio committees. Without the studio restrictions the independents were free to break new ground with such ﬁlms as Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves, Gone With the Wind, Fantasia, City Light, and Citizen Kane.
From the Hollywood Renegades Archive, www.cobbles.com/simpp_archive
Our Value Proposition
Our structure recalls an earlier paradigm: professional services ﬁrms with capabilities and
business models more closely aligned with their clients needs and interests
The integrated teams we form are composed of experienced, highly skilled experts
We forgo the pyramid structure of larger ﬁrms to staff projects with industry and consulting veterans
who can meaningfully contribute to the project s success
You can avoid the expense, delays and frustrations imposed when your staff has to “educate” the
consulting team – on our teams the experts do the work
Experience enables our teams to create innovative, forward-looking recommendations tailored to
your speciﬁc needs and capabilities
Our core team members have extensive backgrounds in industry and consulting roles
We re experienced at implementing projects in real-world corporate settings; we won t propose
solutions that can t be approved or implemented
Our teams quickly establish credibility and team with your staff and clients
Deliverables are structured to add value, not to ﬁt the limited skills of junior staff
We recognize and plan for the organizational steps required to advance a project
Our multidisciplinary teams leverage strategic, technical and operational expertise
Because the tough problems span functional boundaries, our teams include the cross-functional
expertise needed to integrate strategic, technical and business recommendations – we re not
constrained by our ﬁrm s internal organizational considerations
As projects move through conceptual, design, planning and implementation phases, the same team
has the skills required to continue delivering value
By controlling overhead, we are able to deliver exceptional value
Our approach is designed to efﬁciently move from analysis through planning into
implementation of a solution expressly tailored to your needs
We draw upon our extensive project experience to create a customized approach for each
project, one that is tailored to meet your speciﬁc objectives and constraints
In creating a tailored approach, our leads leverage their real-world experience in creating and
executing complex workplans for a wide variety of engagement topics and structures
The selection of resources from internal and external sources to form the project team is done in
consultation with you, not presented as a fait accompli
Before the kickoff, we work with you to create and syndicate the structured workplan that will be
used to deﬁne, manage and report on your project
Our project management skills ensure disciplined execution of the project workplan
Our action bias is reﬂected throughout our project plans, tools and teams
We work with you to structure deliverables that are useful within your business context – we aren t
constrained by pre-deﬁned templates or the need to deliver PowerPoint decks to keep junior staff
We take into account the reality of your business setting – including the requirement to gain
approvals and budgeting, and your organization s execution capabilities
Our recommendations are delivered in interactive senior-level working sessions
Senior consultants remain available on an as-needed basis to update recommendations, plans,
business models, etc. as you act upon our recommendations
Diel Group engagements are performed by joint DGI / network / client teams
By providing a team with seasoned leadership, we provide an effective way to leverage your
internal expertise and staff to reduce costs while increasing project impact
We have the skills and experience to lead all project phases from initial investigations through post-
Our Service Offerings
We focus on high impact engagements, leveraging our expertise across diverse disciplines
to design and execute customized engagement approaches that meet your speciﬁc needs
The Diel Group specializes in traditional management consulting engagements
Signiﬁcant projects that have the potential for strategic impact
Situations where your requirements and challenges are unique, not suited to cookie-cutter project
plans or off-the-shelf solutions
Projects that call for participation from, and interaction with, multiple disciplines within your ﬁrm;
these often include several of the following:
– Front-ofﬁce Executives – Marketing and Sales
– Operations – Technology
– Legal – Compliance
– Risk Management – Transaction Execution
Extended efforts that require signiﬁcant program management expertise during both planning and
Illustrative qualiﬁcations include:
Re-engineering the organization, processes and systems of a securities clearing ﬁrm
Deﬁnition of the role, organization and processes for a regional CIO of a global bank
Analysis of operational and compliance risks for a large investment ﬁrm
Assisting in the remediation of compliance issues in response to regulatory dictates
Business strategy development, including business case preparation and implementation planning
for systems, procedures and organization
Structuring and operating program management ofﬁces for multiple complex initiatives
Supporting the design and creation of new business units and product offerings
Merger planning and post-merger integration at the business-unit level
Each of our core team members has signiﬁcant hands-on experience working in multiple
ﬁnancial industry segments, dealing with diverse topics, and using varied toolsets
Corporate strategy development and execution
Alliance planning and development
Business unit strategic planning
Electronic commerce strategy
Risk management Cost reduction
Compliance management Process reengineering
Program management Performance improvement
Change management Organizational Advisory
Merger integration Operational risk
New product development
Market entry and extension
Customer relationship management
Product and Market Strategy
Our Real World Experience
Our consultants have worked with many of the leading ﬁrms in ﬁnancial services, and the
professional services ﬁrms that support them, both as consultants and as employees…
Ronald Diel, President
Summary of experience:
• Mr. Diel, the founder and President of the Diel Group, has extensive experience in compliance, business strategy, ﬁnancial systems,
operations and organizational management in the banking, securities, asset management, and investment banking industries. He has been
responsible for developing and implementing compliance, organizational, technology and business strategies and policies at major ﬁnancial
ﬁrms based on his line, consulting and legal experience.
Selected project / engagement experience:
• Structured and initiated a ﬁrm-wide review of operational risks and processes for a large privately-held asset management ﬁrm. Designed
procedures, tools and project plans, and led the analysis of the trading ﬂoor and account maintenance department; advising an internal team
that will complete the analysis and procedural redesign of the entire ﬁrm.
• Led a team of over ﬁfty consultants in the analysis and remediation of more than 12,000 customer ﬁles to achieve AML compliance at the
private bank subsidiary of a major global bank, thereby meeting a FRB deadline imposed by a Memorandum of Understanding.
• Directed an engagement to assist a money-center bank in realigning a large team of bank-supervised temporaries, streamlining procedures,
and reviewing the technology platforms being used to meet a FRB-mandated deadline for remediation of KYCs at their private banking unit.
• Oversaw the capture, analysis and redesign of new client KYC processes for the corporate banking division of a money-center bank to
expedite the account opening process and reduce demands on front-ofﬁce staff while achieving increased compliance levels.
• Assisted a client in reviewing and preparing over 10,000 KYC ﬁles for scanning into an on-line database.
• Responsible for identifying and developing a high-proﬁle Software Asset Management service offering that is being marketed to leading enterprises
in ﬁnancial services, pharmacology, health care, communications, government and other sectors. Oversaw the deﬁnition of the service, development
of a go-to-market strategy and materials, and the creation of our delivery capability.
• Oversaw the development of detailed operational, technology and policy recommendations to strengthen the compliance posture of a leading mutual
fund and investment management ﬁrm. Reviewed current practices in light of recent changes in the structure and business activities of the ﬁrm,
applicable regulatory requirements, and current examiner practices to identify and prioritize gaps, developed actionable recommendations and led a
ﬁrm-wide prioritization process.
• Performed AML compliance reviews for delivery to the regulatory authorities overseeing the high-volume transaction processing banks afﬁliated with
a leading ﬁnancial services company.
• Oversaw the development of an enterprise AML surveillance architecture and implementation methodology for a major consulting ﬁrm; secured
vendor alliances and developed marketing strategies and materials.
• Directed engagements to redesign and implement recommendations for AML organizations, procedures, training and technology at multiple
ﬁnancial services ﬁrms, including both KYC and surveillance functions.
• Led an engagement to review remediated KYC ﬁles and recommend changes in the client s review and remediation checklists and processes.
• Assisted a leading prime broker in revising their KYC risk rating policies, procedures and requirements for selected classes of high-risk clients.
• In conjunction with legal, compliance and operations staff, assisted in the formulation of policies, procedures and control activities for a new
hedge fund being created by one of the leading global investment banks.
Ronald Diel, President (continued)
Selected project / engagement experience (continued):
• Led an effort that deﬁned the roles, responsibilities and operating procedures for the Americas Regional CIO of a global bank, including
regulatory, risk and operations oversight functions. Based on these deﬁnitions developed the organizational structure, job deﬁnitions and
management agenda for the group along with regional KPIs and management reports.
• Directed the analysis, redesign and planning stages of a total transformation of a securities processing ﬁrm including the analysis and
redesign of operations, technology, and stafﬁng; effectively built the client team required to implement the redesigned environment.
• Senior team member in the development of a technology strategy and systems architecture for a major investment banking ﬁrm; responsible
for detailed technical and strategic reviews of all signiﬁcant technology projects in preparation for their presentation to the ﬁrm s executive
• Development of a multi-channel deployment strategy to enable a large mutual funds ﬁrm to exploit a state-of-the-art investment analysis tool
as a means for increasing assets under management; included preparing speciﬁc recommendations for the operational, marketing and
ﬁnancial changes required to implement the strategy.
• Selection of a technology platform for delivery of advisory services to afﬂuent clients of a major mutual funds complex, including
documentation of the business unit strategy, development of operations improvement plans and an economic analyses in support of the
• For a major investment management ﬁrm oversaw the design and outsourced development of an asset allocation product based on the
Black-Litterman Model to be provided to high net worth clients through third-party banks; oversaw the rearchitecting of the quantitative
investment model used in managing money for their institutional clients and mutual funds.
• Organizational transformation of the procurement function for a bulge bracket securities ﬁrm, including the redesign of their global
organization and procedures to signiﬁcantly increase effectiveness and to expedite deployment of an e-procurement infrastructure.
• Operationalizing an international electronic payments startup, including the development of organization structures, business procedures,
technical infrastructure and relationships with key vendors and customers.
• Responsible for the overall technology environment of the asset management division of a bulge bracket securities ﬁrm, including the
trading ﬂoor, portfolio and fund accounting, analytics and market data, compliance, marketing and telecommunications.
• Managed the design and implementation of multiple investment analysis systems including portfolio allocation and balancing, asset
securitization models, and multi-factor equities models.
• Led requirements analysis and design of regulatory reporting and compliance monitoring systems and procedures at major investment
management and securities ﬁrms.
• Managed the SEC-directed compliance review of the investment management group at a major investment banking ﬁrm as well as other
internally-sponsored compliance reviews of ﬁnancial ﬁrms.
• Responsible for infrastructure components (including market data, ﬂoor support, database administration and systems administration) for
the rollout of distributed trading systems to over ﬁve hundred equity and derivatives traders at the largest broker/dealer in New York.
Oversaw market data vendor analysis and relationships.
• Created and operated the program ofﬁce for the development of a state of the art treasury workstation to be deployed to major corporate
clients and ﬁnancial institutions by a leading global bank.
Ronald Diel, President (continued)
Selected project / engagement experience (continued):
• Formulation of business unit and alliance strategies to enable a global bank to expand U.S. check processing and related cash
management services from a regional to a national basis, and program management of full implementation of the resulting plans.
• Senior manager in the team responsible for planning, overseeing and executing the expedited movement of more than ﬁfty traders and their
associated systems and feeds onto an existing trading ﬂoor in connection with the consolidation of trading ﬂoors following the acquisition of
a foreign investment banking ﬁrm by a bulge bracket ﬁrm.
• Advised a global bank in the creation and operation of a program management ofﬁce to oversee the technical, operational and governance
changes required to comply with the Interagency White Paper issued by the Federal Reserve, the SEC and the OCC. Oversaw collection
of regulatory, compliance and internal control requirements for the program.
• Directed the development, implementation and support of a thorough project process program adopted for all technology areas at a major
securities ﬁrm, including the formation and operation of an internal project management / process consulting group.
• Researched regulatory issues, drafted required applications and coordinated the ﬁling of documentation used to obtain regulatory approval
for the acquisition of a large regional bank by a major North American Bank.
• Year 2000 program management initiatives at a leading European bank and a major U.S. insurance company, including the analysis and
prioritization of their Y2K project portfolios; subsequently advised on implementation of structured project management processes for a
major unit for one client, and the design of the global year-end transition management program / network for the other.
• Performed due diligence reviews of technology, stafﬁng, and operations at several ﬁnancial service vendors for potential acquirers.
• Managed the design, implementation, and support of PC-based and distributed portfolio accounting systems.
• Directed the design, development, and initial deployment in Russia of an ATM/POS network based on stored-value smart cards.
Prior work experience:
• Previously, Mr. Diel was the Managing Director responsible for leading the Global Compliance practice within BearingPoint s Finance, Risk
and Compliance Group. Prior to joining BearingPoint, he was a vice president in A.T. Kearney s Financial Institutions Group, where he led
the ﬁrm's North American securities practice and was a founding member of their e-FIG group. Previously, he was a vice president in the
Technology Strategy and Equity Trading Systems Groups at Merrill Lynch. He was also the Chief Technology Ofﬁcer as a vice president at
Goldman Sachs Asset Management. Mr. Diel also practiced banking and securities law as an associate at Sullivan & Cromwell.
• Mr. Diel received a B.S. in Mathematics from the University of Wisconsin. He earned his MBA at the University of Colorado and was
awarded his J.D. from the University of Wisconsin.
The Diel Group is an innovative management consulting ﬁrm focusing on the ﬁnancial services industry.
Our business model is derived from the one used by independent producers in the ﬁlm industry.
Members of our core team act as the producers, working with our clients to identify and qualify
appropriate opportunities. As these opportunities develop, we tap into our large network of independent
experienced resources to involve project managers (directors), methodologists (writers), and subject
matter experts to create a tailored approach (script) that meets your needs. Once the approach is
approved, we use our network of resources to identify and secure the experienced team members (the
cast) who will be best able to complete your project. Each project team is a hand-picked, one-time
group assembled speciﬁcally for the project they will be doing.
Since we don t have a dedicated staff of employees, we are under no pressure to try to force ﬁt
(miscast) resources onto a project, but are instead free to select the best ﬁt. This enables us to create
teams that are highly experienced in the subject matter of the project and the practices in your business
area. Because the project staff members, including our producer-leads, do not have the same ﬁrm-
building responsibilities as senior members of larger ﬁrms, they won t disappear once the project has
been sold or spend their days on internal conference calls. The Diel Group, through our assigned
producer, remains responsible for the quality and timeliness of the team s work, actively working with
you to ensure we are meeting your needs. In short, you will have the undivided attention of the full
You will also beneﬁt from our business model which does not incent us to build a project team pyramid
with numerous junior resources who conduct inefﬁcient interviews that annoy your team (“what is a
preferred stock?”) and create PowerPoint slides because that ﬁts their skill set rather than because the
presentations are required.
We ﬁnd that our model meets the needs of increasingly sophisticated ﬁnancial service clients who have
learned from experience that the success of a project team depends upon the capabilities of the team
presented, not on the imprimatur of the ﬁrm presenting them.
Additional information about The Diel Group is available upon request, at the address below.
The Diel Group, Inc
160 Riverside Blvd, Suite 8S
New York, NY 10069
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.