Power Point by Sharon and Rita
Pretty isn’t it?
Not so much anymore
What are coral reefs?
- coral reefs have been around us for more than 400 million years
- Coral are extremely ancient animals that evolved into reef-building forms over the last 25 million years
- There are two main types of coral:
- The hard coral, the major reef-building species
- The soft coral, such as sea whips and sea fans.
How are they made?
- They are aragonite structures produced by living organisms.
- coral reefs are formed by the aggregation of the calcium carbonate exoskeletons of corals
What are the threats?
- Human activity is one of the greatest threats.
The Threat of Human Destruction
- Coral is damaged by anchors
- Blast fishing will kill coral reefs
- This is due to inappropriate fishing techniques
The Threat of Seaweed
- Corals overgrown by seaweed
The Threat of Coral Bleaching
What happens to dead reefs?
- They become white in colour and collapse
- Fish diversity is cut in half
How to Help
- Remove nutrients from sewage
- More efficient ways to fertilize
- Reduce green house gasses
Thank you for watching