• In the Spring of 2009, the AS Executive board hired a consultant
team to evaluate the effectiveness of Associated Students
• The review team looked at important documents (constitution
and by-laws), gathered surveys and interviewed students and
• The information was fairly consistent across the various groups
of students and administrators
• All parties have a readiness for change
• Associated Students focuses mainly on programming
• Associated Students has too many positions
• Desire for AS to play a greater student representation and
• Simple financial processes
• Weak Senate that does not act as a governance group
• AS is well funded but current emphasis on programming limits the
ability to use money more creatively
• Associated Students is not a representative body because its
primary emphasis is on student organizations
• In the Fall of 2009, the AS Executive board created a Review
Committee composing of different student leaders.
• With these findings, the Review Committee has begun to
discuss structural and substantive changes to the AS Team.
• The AS Executive Board reviewed the materials with the AS
• The AS Advisors team made a series of recommendations
Current Organizational Chart!
Vice President Vice President
Vice President Vice President Vice President Vice President Multicultural Student
Academics Programming Finance Marketing Relations Organizations
Academics Alumni Relations Controller Issues Sports Orgs
Honor Council Multicultural
Arts Elections Programming (2)
Asst. Concerts Marketers (2)
Current Organizational Chart!
Same Org Chart BUT add a student issues position with
8 class senators, director of transportation, wellness, and
Proposed new structure - Executive Board!
• The Executive Board will act as executors of the Senate’s
legislation. It will focus on representing student issues and
administering elections and finances.
• Divided into four separate branches:
- Vice-President (elected) !
- Speaker of the Senate (elected) !
- Communications (appointed) !
- Finance (appointed)!
• Appointment process - Old AS Executive Board and Newly
Elected AS Executive Board, Elections Director, and Advisor
Speaker of the Communication
Vice President Finance Chair
Academics Senators (30) Historian Controller
Chief Of Staff Web
(one of 30 Senators
*(from the 30 Senators)
(Academic, Inclusion & (one of 30
Diversity, Student Life, Senators)
Change the committee to “inclusion and diversity”
Also, add a student org. position under the VP.
• Senators based on residency and college to allow (30 total)
» More united feeling, better representation!
» Proportionally represented based upon statistics !
• Four mandatory committees: Academic, Inclusion and
Diversity, Student Organizations, and Student Life.
» Additional Ad-hoc committees !
• Senators will report to the Speaker of the Senate and are not a
part of the AS team
Liaisons to the Senate !
• Leadership Councils (IFC, Panhellenic, RHA, UFLC, and WCLC) act
as liaisons to the Senate.
• USD Leadership Councils are the most dense form of representation
for student organizations and in addition serve as governing bodies
• Associated Students Executive Board and Program Board Chair will
act as liaisons to the Senate
Senate Break Down!
• Based on USD 2009-2010 Data!
• Academic Senators!
- College of Arts and Sciences (11)!
- School of Business Administration (3)!
- School of Business Administration, Engineering (1) !
• Residency Senators!
- Camino/Founders (1)!
- Commuter (8)!
- Maher (1)!
- Missions A (1)!
- Missions B (1)!
- Vistas (2)!
- UTAs/Manchester/SAPs/San Buenaventura (1)!
Selection Process - Committee Chair!
• An elected Senator must apply and undergo an interview
• To ensure the most skilled and passionate for the position
• Interview process by AS Executive board
• Concerning the Inclusion and Diversity chair, the selection
committee shall be composed of student representatives deemed
necessary by the United Front Multicultural Center
Chair of Inclusion and Diversity Committee!
• Job Description states that individual will work with United
Front Multicultural Center and UF Leadership Council
• Encouraged to be a member of the United Front Multicultural
Inclusion and Diversity Committee!
• Example of Job Description
• 7-8 Senators will choose to be a part of the Multicultural
Relations committee based on interest!
• Diversity and Inclusion Training (does not occur on
• Committee will meet with student representatives from
the United Front (similar to current MRB)!
• Allows for empowerment of the newly created UFLC!
• Committee members will attend important meetings such
as PABID !
• Will legislate on behalf of the students (occurred once in
past three years on current senate)!
• Focus more on representing student issues, instead of advertising for
student group events
• Strategic information position to innovate new ways to advertise and
• Additionally, Web and Historian
• Marketing designers will report directly to the Creative Zone and will
not be under Associated Students.
» Responsibility: produce paper marketing products
(posters, ﬂyers, etc.)!
» Allows ﬂexibility for AS, Student Orgs, and the
Program Board !
» Creative Zone can supervise and not advise the process!
• Streamline current AS Financial procedures
• ASBC and ICC combined into at least monthly distribution
• Finance committee - no longer AS Executive Branch
• New composition- 9 total
- Finance Chair, President, Vice President, Speaker of the
Senate, Program Board Chair, 4 sub-committee Chair.!
• Separate programming board entirely from Associated Students
• The program board chair would be:
– appointed !
– given substantial funds !
– have separate advisors!
– Committee appoints program board allowing
independence and discretion of programming!
• Aimed to reduce over-programming and specialize for better, larger
Why a Separate Program Board?!
• Aimed to reduce over-programming and specialize for better,
• While programming offers instant returns for student issues, it is
not necessarily the best method for representation of student
• By separating the boards. Both aspects of governance can be
• We are asking you to vote for change !
• Vote for change to the structure for better representation !
• Our current system/structure serves only those who
already have power and does a disservice to many of the
students at USD!
• The change will allow for Associated Students and
governing Leadership Councils to have more of an
advocacy role at USD !
Where to learn more!!
• Visit our Website