• Textbook or Article provides the essential
• Prepares the student for classroom discussion
• Textbook often contains explanatory material
the instructor uses as a foundation.
• Without the mortar, Foundation being built
will not be suitable to withstand critical
thinking or test evaluation.
• Text Book reading is not done for entertainment.
• Work hard to get something substantial out of
• ALWAYS use “pen in hand” to make exercise
The Study Technique which
gives you a purpose for
Determine the structure or
Organization of the Chapter.
• Think about the title. (Predict what will be
included in the chapter.)
• Read the introduction. (The main ideas will
help you understand or make sense of the
• Read the main-headings (boldface print).
Here are the main ideas.
• Read the Summary. Here is the relationship
among the main idea.
• Read the questions at the end of the chapter.
These will help to identify important parts of
Turn each heading and subheading
into a question.
• While practicing this technique write the questions
down. This gives the answer.
• You are looking for something rather than simply
looking at words
• Take one section at a time
• Keep answers brief
• Use your own words
• Read only that section
• Look for answers to your questions
• Move quickly
• Sort out Ideas and evaluate them.
• If content doesn’t relate to question, give it
only a glance.
• Answer the questions in your own words
• Write the answer using only key words
• Follow the technique R1 technique for each
• Orally ask yourself questions about what you
have just read
or summarize, in your own words, what you
• Increase retention
• After you have read and recited the entire chapter,
write questions in the margins for those points you
have highlighted or underlined.
• Page through the text and/or your notebook to re-
acquaint yourself with the important points.
• Alternate between your flash cards and notes and
test yourself (orally or in writing) on the questions
Power Point Presentation
By: Elizabeth Miller
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.